PARIS, France – The White House announced new sanctions on Russian oligarchs Thursday, in U.S. President Joe Biden’s latest attempt to squeeze Russian President Vladimir Putin as the invasion of Ukraine advances.
The new list of individuals described as ‘Putin’s cronies and their family members’ will be cut off from the U.S. financial system, their assets in the U.S. will be frozen, and their property will be blocked from use, according to a fact sheet from the White House.
There will be full blocking sanctions on eight Russian elites, plus their family members and associates.
It includes a move to target Putin ally Alisher Buhanovich Usmanov, ‘one of Russia’s wealthiest individuals’, according to the White House, and will include his super – yacht and private jet.
The U.S. is also sanctioning Putin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, whom the White House describes as ‘a top purveyor of Putin’s propaganda’.
‘The United States and governments all over the world will work to identify and freeze the assets Russian elites and their family members hold in our respective jurisdictions – their yachts, luxury apartments, money, and other ill – gotten gains’, the fact sheet said.
The Individuals Who Will Be Subject To Full Blocking Sanctions Are:
- Nikolai Tokarev (along with his wife Galina, daughter Mayya and his two luxury real estate companies).
- Boris Rotenberg (along with his wife Karina, and his sons Roman and Boris).
- Arkady Rotenber (along with his sons Pavel and Igor and daughter Liliya).
- Sergei Chemezov (along with his wife Yekaterina, his son Stanislav and stepdaughter Anastasiya).
- Igor Shuvalov (along and his five companies, his wife Olga, his son Evgeny and his company and het, and his daughter Maria and her company).
- Yevgeniy Prigozhin (along with this three companies, his wife, Polina, his daughter Lyubov, and his son Pavel).
- Peskov, Putin’s press secretary.
- Alisher Usmanov (His super – yacht, one of the world’s largest and just seized by our ally Germany, and his private het, one of Russia’s largest privately owned aircraft).
The U.S. will also impose visa restrictions on 19 oligarch and 47 of their family members and close associates, the fact sheet from the White House said.
That will target oligarchs ‘known to direct, authorize, fund, significantly support, or carry out malign activities in support of Russia’s destabilizing foreign policy’.
And the Department of Treasury will also issue sanctions on disinformation targets. That includes SGN Strategic Culture Foundation and associated outlets Odna Rodyna, Rhythm of Eurasia, and Journal Kamerton; SouthFront; SDN InfoRos; New Eastern Outlook; Oriental Review; United World International; and Geopolitical.
It will also designate ’26 Russian and Ukraine – based individuals who play central roles in these organizations, enabling the Government of the Russian Federation’s efforts to spread disinformation and influence perceptions as part of their invasion of Ukraine’.