BUSINESS | Kuwait retail co-ops remove French products over Prophet cartoon

KUWAIT – Kuwait’s retail co-ops have pulled French products in boycott over the use of cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad in a French school class on freedom of expression whose teacher was then beheaded by an Islamist.

The non-governmental Union of Consumer Co-operative Societies, which groups more than 70 establishments, issued the boycott directive in an Oct.23 circular. Several co-ops visited by Reuters on Sunday had cleared the shelves of items such as hair and beauty products made by French companies.

‘All French products have been removed from all Consumer Cooperative Societies’, union head Fahd Al-Kishti told Reuters, adding that the move was in response to ‘repeated insults’ against the Prophet and had been taken independently of Kuwait’s government.

The co-ops, some the size of hypermarkets, carry government – subsidized staples for Kuwaitis and account for a big part of retail in the country, as well as organizing some educational courses and recreational activities.

Muslims see any depiction of the Prophet as blasphemous.

The Organisation of Islamic Cooperation on Friday descried the brutal murder that has shaken France but also criticized the ‘justification for blasphemy-based harassment of any religion in the name of freedom of expression’.

Kuwait’s foreign minister, who met the French ambassador on Sunday, condemned the Oct. 16 killing as a horrendous crime but stressed the need to avoid insulting religion in official and political remarks that ‘inflame hatred, enmity and racism’, the ministry tweeted.

Kuwait’s imports from France stood at 225 million dinars ($834.70 million) in 2019, and 83.6 million dinars in the first half of 2020, according to Reuters calculations based on data from Kuwait’s Central Statistics bureau.

In Saudi Arabia, the Arab world’s largest economy, a hashtag calling for boycott of French supermarket retailer Carrefour was the second most trending on Sunday.

After a Danish paper first published the cartoons in 2005, protests and boycotts on Danish goods swept the Islamic World.

The beheading in a Paris suburb echoes of the Islamic attack in 2015 on the offices of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo after it republished the cartoons.

France recalled its ambassador to Turkey on Saturday after Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said his counterpart Emmanuel Macron, who this month declared was on ‘Islamist separatism’, needed mental help over his attitude towards Muslims.

Russia Will Soon Publish Retaliatory Stop List Of U.S. Citizens – TASS Cites Foreign Ministry

Moscow will soon publish a list of U.S. citizens it will take measures against in response to sanctions imposed on Russians over the case of opposition politician Alexei Navalny, the TASS news agency cited the foreign ministry as saying on Friday. The Kremlin on Wednesday played down the impact of sanctions imposed by the United … More Russia Will Soon Publish Retaliatory Stop List Of U.S. Citizens – TASS Cites Foreign Ministry

Saudi – Led Coalition Says It Downed Four Drones Fired By Houthis Towards Khamis Mushait

The Saudi – led coalition fighting the Houthi group in Yemen said it had destroyed four explosive drones fired towards the Kingdom on Friday, with the Houthis claiming to have launched an attack into southern Saudi Arabia at dawn. The Iran – aligned Houthis have recently stepped up cross – border drone and missile attacks … More Saudi – Led Coalition Says It Downed Four Drones Fired By Houthis Towards Khamis Mushait

Arab Coalition Destroys Explosive – Laden Drone Targeting Saudi Arabia’s Khamis Mushait.

The Arab Coalition intercepted and destroyed an explosive – laden drone launched on Friday by Yemen’s Iran – backed Houthi Militia toward Saudi Arabia’s Khamis Mushait, the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported. Khamis Mushait is a southwestern city home to the King Khalid Air Base. Coalition Spokesperson Colonel Turki al – Maliki said, ‘the … More Arab Coalition Destroys Explosive – Laden Drone Targeting Saudi Arabia’s Khamis Mushait.

Saudi Arabia’s Al-Ula Airport Opens To International Flights After Expansion

Saudi Arabia’s authorities approved the start of receiving international flights at Prince Abdulmajeed bin Abdulaziz Airport in Al-Ula after the completion of its expansion project, the Saudi General Authority of Civil Aviation (GACA) said on Thursday. The airport, which was established in 2011, became the fifth largest airport in the Kingdom, with a total area … More Saudi Arabia’s Al-Ula Airport Opens To International Flights After Expansion

U.S. Urges Saudi Arabia To Give Up Special Developing Nation Status At WTO

The United States called on Saudi Arabia on Wednesday to renounce its special and differential treatment in negotiations at the World Trade Organization (WTO), nothing the G20 member was designed as a high – income country by the World Bank. ‘Saudi Arabia is a wealthy and influential player in the global economy’, Washington said in … More U.S. Urges Saudi Arabia To Give Up Special Developing Nation Status At WTO

Saudi Arabia To Provide Free COVID-19 Vaccines In Pharmacies: Health Minister

Saudi Arabia will provide coronavirus vaccines in pharmacies around the Kingdom for free, the country’s Minister of Health  Dr. Tawfik al – Rabiah told Al Araiya on Wednesday. This comes as part of efforts to expand the ongoing inoculation campaign and facilitate access to vaccine sites, he added. Over 100 vaccine centers have opened around … More Saudi Arabia To Provide Free COVID-19 Vaccines In Pharmacies: Health Minister

BAFTA Announces All British Nominees For EE Rising Star Award

‘One Night In Miami’ actor Kingsley Ben – Adir and ‘The Personal History of David Cooperfield’ actress Morfydd Clark are among this year’s nominees for the EE Rising Star Award, the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) said on Wednesday. The list of five contenders, all British, also includes ‘Rocks’ actress Bukky Bakray, Conrad … More BAFTA Announces All British Nominees For EE Rising Star Award

UK’s Prince Philip, 99, Moves Hospital For Heart Tests

Britain’s Prince Philip, the 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth, was transferred to a different hospital in central London on Monday to have test for a pre-existing heart condition and receive treatment for an infection. Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, was admitted to London’s private King Edward VII hospital two weeks ago for treatment for an … More UK’s Prince Philip, 99, Moves Hospital For Heart Tests

Loading…

Something went wrong. Please refresh the page and/or try again.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s