BEIRUT | LEBANON – Kuwait said it will rebuild Lebanon’s only large grain silo that was destroyed by the massive Beirut port explosion, raising fears of food shortages in a country already in financial meltdown.
The destruction of the 120,000 – tonne capacity structure at the port, the main entry point for food imports, meant buyers must rely on smaller private storage facility for their wheat purchases with no government reserves to fall back on.
Kuwait’s ambassador to Lebanon, Abdulaal al-Qenaie, said in comments to local radio Vdl at the weekend that the silo was first built in 1969 with a Kuwaiti development loan.
The Gulf monarchy will now rebuild the silo so it remains a symbol of ‘how to manage relations between two brotherly countries that respect each other’, Qenaie was cited as saying.
The port explosion killed at least 180 people, injured thousands and wrecked swatches of the Lebanese capital, pushing the government to resign.
The now caretaker economy minister, Raoul Nehme, has reassured the public that there would be no flour or bread crisis in Lebanon, which buys almost all its wheat from abroad.
Plans for another grain silo in Lebanon’s second largest port Tripli were shelved years ago due to a lack of funding, a U.N. official port official and regional grain expert told Reuters earlier this month.
Humanitarian aid has poured into Lebanon. But foreign donors have made clear they will not bail out the state without reforms to tackle entrenched corruption and negligence.
Gulf Arab states who once gave Lebanon financial support have grown weary in recent years of the Iran-backed Hezbollah’s expanding role in state affairs.
ATHENS, Greece – Greece lifted COVID-19 restrictions on Sunday for foreign and domestic flights, its civil aviation authority said, ahead of the summer tourism season that officials hope will see revenues bouncing back from the pandemic slump. To fly in or out of the country, travellers were previously required to show either a vaccination certificate, … More Greece Lifts COVID Curbs For Travellers Ahead Of Key Summer Season
PARIS, France – Saudi Arabia and Pakistan will discuss the possibility of supporting the kingdom’s $3 billion deposit in Pakistan’s central bank bank by extending its term ‘or through other options’, a joint statement carried by Saudi State News Agency SPA said on Sunday. Last year, Saudi Arabia deposited $3 billion in Pakistan’s central bank … More Saudi, Pakistan To Discuss Possible Support For Kingdom’s $3 Billion Deposit
PARIS, France – Jordan’s King Abdullah returned home on Tuesday from Germany after a successful operation for a slipped disc, the royal palace said. The king flown 10 days ago to a specialist hospital in Frankfurt after suffering severe back pain that required urgent surgery, doctors said.
PARIS, France – Yemen’s president delegated power to a presidential council and dismissed his deputy on Thursday in moves aimed at supporting U.N. – led efforts to revive negotiations to end a bitter seven – year war. Riyadh announced $3 billion in financial aid to the Saudi – backed government after the announcement by President … More Yemen President Cedes Powers To Council As Saudi Arabia Pushes To End War
PARIS, France – Saudi Arabia’s Presidency of State Security warned citizens and residents in the Kingdom against donating to strangers, nothing that such practices increase the probability of financing terrorism. ‘[Random strangers] may be more dangerous than you think’, the Presidency of State Security said in a statement on Twitter, urging people to only make … More Saudi Authorities Warn Against Donating To Strangers Due To Terrorism Financing
PARIS, France – Jordan’s Prince Hamzah Bin Al – Hussein is relinquishing his title of prince, he said in a statement. Prince Hamza, a former heir to the throne, was accused last year of conspiring to destabilize the monarchy in a foreign – inspired plot. Prince Hamzah posted the statement on his official Twitter account, … More Jordan’s Prince Hamzah Relinquishes Royal Title
JEDDAH, Saudi Arabia – Formula One’s Saudi Arabian Grand Prix will go ahead as planned, organizers said on Friday following attacks on a facility owned by oil giant Aramco near the racetrack in Jeddah. Yemen’s Iran – backed Houthis said they launched attacks on Saudi energy facilities on Friday and the Arab coalition said Aramco’s … More Saudi Arabian Grand Prix To Go Ahead As Planned, Say Organizers
PARIS, France – Saudi Arabia has resumed issuing visas on arrival for holders of valid U.S., U.K. and Schengen visas if they qualify for an e – visa, state news agency (SPA) reported on Friday. The decision which allows any of these visa holders to ger a 12 – month tourist visa upon arrival to … More Saudi Arabia Resumes Visa On Arrival For US, UK, Schengen Valid Visa Holders
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia – Yemen’s Houthis said they launched attacks on Saudi energy facilities on Friday and the Saudi – led coalition said oil giant Aramco’s petroleum products distribution station in Jeddah was hit, causing a fire in two storage tanks but no causalities. A huge plume of black smoke could be seen rising over … More Saudi Aramco Storage Facility Targeted By Houthi Attack, Causing Fire
WASHINGTON – The U.S. State Department has approved the potential sale to Bahrain of M270 Multiple Launch Rocket Systems Upgrade and related equipment for an estimated cost of $176 million, the Pentagon said on Thursday. The principal contractor will be Lockheed Martin Corp, the Pentagon’s Defense Security Cooperation Agency said in a news release.