RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia will soon begin Phase III clinical trials on around 5,000 people for a COVID-19 vaccine develop by China’s CanSino Biologics Inc., a Saudi health ministry spokesman said on Sunday.
Last month, CanSino’s co-founder said the company was in talks with Russia, Brazil and Saudi Arabia to launch a Phase III trial of the vaccine candidate, Ad5-nCOV.
The vaccine uses a harmless cold virus known as adenovirus type-5 (Ad5) to carry genetic material from the coronavirus into the body.
Researchers said last month that CanSino’s vaccine, co-developed with China’s military research unit, appeared to be safe and induced immune response in most subjects.
Saudi Arabia plans to test the vaccine alongside a placebo on 5,000 volunteers and is currently preparing trials in the cities of Riyadh, Dammam and Mecca, Sauti state news agency SPA said on Saturday.
No COVID-19 vaccine has been approved for commercial use.
CanSino’s candidate became the first in China to move into human testing in March but other potential vaccines developed by Sinovac Biotech and a unit of China National Pharmaceutical Group (Sinopharm) have already been approved for Phase III trials overseas.
Britain’s Prince Philip, the 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth, was transferred to a different hospital in central London on Monday to have test for a pre-existing heart condition and receive treatment for an infection. Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, was admitted to London’s private King Edward VII hospital two weeks ago for treatment for an … More UK’s Prince Philip, 99, Moves Hospital For Heart Tests
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Monday that Saudi Arabia and the government of Yemen are ‘committed and eager’ to find a way to end the war in Yemen and called on the Houthi group to do the same. Speaking after a visit to the region by his Yemen envoy Tim Lenderking, Blinken … More Blinken Calls On Yemen’s Houthis To Match Saudi, Yemen Go’vt Commitment To End War
All commercial activities in Oman will close from 8 P.M. to 5 A.M. local time in the period from March 4 to March 20, as part of measures to combat the spread of the coronavirus, Oman State TV reported on Monday.