NAIROBI – Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta extended a nightly curfew for 30 days to curb the spread of COVID-19 and banned alcohol in restaurants but stopped short of locking down the country again a surge in cases.
The curfew had been due to be lifted on Aug.6 or 7.
Kenya has so far reported 17,975 cases of infections with the new coronavirus and 285 deaths from the related disease COVID-19. The health ministry said on Sunday it had reported 960 more cases, the biggest daily jump since the first case was confirmed in March.
‘The harsh reality my friend is that we are at wear. At war with an invisible enemy who is relentless’, Kenyatta said in a televised address.
Kenyatta said the government has also shortened restaurant operating times by an hour, and ordered bars to stay closed indefinitely, but stopped short of reimposed a full lockdown.
‘We cannot have a policeman at every street and in every village to enforce the rules. We need, as citizens, to hold ourselves and one another accountable’, he said.
The outbreak has hit the economy, with the finance ministry projecting growth will slow to 2.5% this year from 5.4% this year from 5.4% last year.
Kenyatta said that among other measures, the health ministry would be authorized to convert government amenities such as schools and sports facilities into quarantine and isolation centres if needed.
He asked police to enforce the curfew rule regardless of who they found breaking it, without mentioning anyone by name.
Last week, the head of the senate committee overseeing the government’s response to the coronavirus crisis quit his post after police said he flouted an overnight curfew to enjoy drinks with others in a Nairobi bar.
He was later charged and fined.
‘All the measures…shall be applied to all citizens regardless of their social or political standing’, Kenyatta said.
RIYADH – – Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has received a phone call from French President Emmanuel Macron in which they discussed bilateral relations. ‘During the call, they reviewed relations between the two countries and opportunities for joint cooperation. Regional and international developments were discussed, and a number of issues of common interest … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Receives Phone Call From French President Macron
RIYADH – – Saudi Arabia expects to re-open its embassy in Qatar in the coming days, Saudi’s foreign minister said on Saturday, following a U.S.-backed détente last week in a three – year-old dispute between Arab states. It is just a matter a logistics, Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister Faisal bin Farhan told journalists in Riyadh … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS | Saudi To Reopen Qatar Embassy In Coming Days – Saudi Minister
MILAN – – The start of the Formula One season has been delayed after the Australian Grand Prix was postponed from March to November because of the COVID-19 pandemic.The Australian race in Melbourne has been rescheduled from March 21 to November 21. The Chinese GP has also been delayed but no new date has been … Continue reading SPORTS | Formula One Season Set To Start In Bahrain After Australian Grand Prix Postponement