ROYALS | Meghan Markle Asks British Court To Prevent Newspaper From Revealing Identities Of Friends Who Defender Her

LONDON – Meghan Markle asked a British court to order a newspaper to refrain from publishing the names of five friends who previously defended her in a U.S. magazine on the condition of anonymity.

The Duchess of Sussex made the request in a witness statement for her lawsuit against the Daily Mail and its parent company over excerpts from a ‘private and confidential’ letter she wrote to her father that the newspaper publisher last year.

In her statement, which was filed in Britain’s High Court Thursday, she claims that the newspaper has threatened to publish the names of five women who spoke to People anonymously. However, because they’re named in confidential court documents at the heart of the lawsuit, their condition of anonymity has been called into question.

‘For the Mail on Sunday to expose them in the public domain for no reason other than clickbait and commercial gain is vicious and poses a threat to their emotion and mental well-being’, Meghan said in the statement. ‘The Mail on Sunday is playing a media game with real lives’.

Papers drawn up by lawyers for the newspaper argue that the publication of the letter to the duchess’s father, Thomas Markle, was in response to a ‘one-sided’ article in People Magazine in February 2019 featuring an interview with the ‘close friends’. The article referenced the letter, meaning it was in the public domain, the lawyers said.

Despite the Duchess of Sussex’s claims, the newspaper said it has ‘no intention’ of publishing the names this weekend. But it said the court should decide on the confidentiality to which Meghan’s friends are entitled.

‘Their evidence is as the heart of the case, and we see no reason why their identities should be kept secret’, a newspaper statement said. ‘That is why we told the duchess’s lawyers last week that the question of their confidentiality should be properly considered by the Court’.

The duchess said in her statement Thursday that the five friends made the choice on their own to speak to People. She accused the newspaper to trying to create a distraction.

‘These five women are not on trial, and nor am I’, the statement said. ‘The published of the Mail on Sunday is the one on trial. It is this publisher that acted unlawfully and is attempting to evade accountability; to create a circus and distract from the point of this case – that the Mail on Sunday unlawfully published my private letter. Each of these women is a private citizen, young mother, and each has a basic right to privacy’.

Meghan’s civil lawsuit accuses the newspaper and its published, Associated Newspapers, of copyright infringement, misuse of private information and violating the U.K.’s data protection law with the publication of the letter.

The newspaper also argues there is ‘huge and legitimate public interest in the royal family and the activities, conduct and standards of behavior of its members’.

It argues this extends not merely to their public conduct, but ‘to their personal and family relationships because those are integral to the proper functioning of the monarchy’.


Saudi Arabia’s King Salman, Crown Prince Donate Total of $7.9 Mln To Charity

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman bin Abdulaziz and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman have donated a total of $7.9 million (SR 30 million) to charity through the Kingdom’s Ehsan Platform, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported on Friday. King Salman donated $5.3 million (SR20 million) for charitable and non – profitable works, while the Crown Prince contributed … More Saudi Arabia’s King Salman, Crown Prince Donate Total of $7.9 Mln To Charity

U.S. Imposes Wide Array Of Sanctions On Russia For ‘Malign’ Actions

The Unites States on Thursday imposed a boar array of sanctions on Russia to punish it for election interference, cyber – hacking, bullying Ukraine and other ‘malign’ acts. The measures blacklisted Russian companies, expelled Russian diplomats and placed limits on the Russian sovereign debt market in steps sure to anger Moscow. Among the actions, President … More U.S. Imposes Wide Array Of Sanctions On Russia For ‘Malign’ Actions

Queen Elizabeth Returns To Royal Duties Four Days After Her Husband’s Death – PM Media

Britain’s Queen Elizabeth return to royal duties on Tuesday, four days after the death of her husband, Prince Philip, in an event to mark the retirement of her household’s most senior official, PA Media reported. The queen hosted a ceremony as the Earl Peel stepped down as Lord Chamberlain, the report added. Philip, who has … More Queen Elizabeth Returns To Royal Duties Four Days After Her Husband’s Death – PM Media

Saudi Arabia’s Ithra Celebrates Ramadan With Cultural Events, Activities

Saudi Arabia’s King Abdulaziz Center for World Culture (Ithra) is celebrating the holy month of Ramadan with a wide selection of cultural events and interactive activities. Ithra is offering visitors a chance to take part in events focused on national traditions and  Saudi Arabian heritage, as well as different interactive workshops. The centre’s Ramadan program also includes a collection … More Saudi Arabia’s Ithra Celebrates Ramadan With Cultural Events, Activities

Britain’s Prince Philip Has Died

Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth who played a leading  figure in the British royal family for almost seven decades, has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace said on Friday. The Duke of Edniburgh, as he was been y his wife’s side through her 69-year  reign, the longest in British history, during which time he … More Britain’s Prince Philip Has Died

Former Secretary Of State Pompeo To Join Fox News Media

Former U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will join Fox News Media as a contributor, the news network controlled by media baron Rupert Murdoch said on Thursday. Pompeo is the latest former Trump administration official to join the network. Other notable names include former White House secretary Kayleigh McEnany and Trump’s top economic adviser Larry … More Former Secretary Of State Pompeo To Join Fox News Media

Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Announces Opening Of Sakaka Power Plant

Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman announced the opening of the Sakaka IPP PV power plat, the Kingdom’s first renewable energy project, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported on Thursday. The launch of the Sakaka IPP PV and the signing power purchase agreements (PPA) for seven new projects are the result of King Salman’s … More Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Announces Opening Of Sakaka Power Plant

Loading…

Something went wrong. Please refresh the page and/or try again.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s