SUPERCARS | The 2021 Geneva International Motor Show is canceled as event organizers seek a new owner for the largest public event in Switzerland.

GENEVA – Following the 2020 Geneva International Motor Show’s cancellation due to the COVID-10 pandemic, the 2021 event has suffered the same fate as the Committee and Council of Foundation ‘Salon International de l’Automobile’ has decided not to proceed with organizing the event.

Although it’s possible travel restriction will be lifted by next year, in a survey taken by organizers of GIMS exhibitors, a majority of auto manufacturers indicate they would not be likely to participate in a 2021 event.

Instead, auto manufacturers would prefer to defer to 2022, with the GIMS committee saying, ‘The automotive sector is currently going through a difficult phase, and exhibitors need time to recover from the effect of the pandemic.

Financial issues also contributed to the decision after the sudden cancellation of the 2020 event only days before it was due to commence. Left in the lurch, GIMS was looking at huge losses and need an estimated 11 million CHF to cover the losses and prepare a new show.

While the State of Geneva offered a loan of CHF 16.8  million to assist (conditional on a 2021 event going ahead), the GIMS committee ultimately declined, citing an inability to make the first repayment of CHF 1 million by June 2021 in the absence of a 2021 Geneva Motor Show.

Instead, organizers are looking to sell the rights to the Geneva International Motor Show to Palexpo SA, the exhibition and trade convention center owned by the canton of Geneva, where the automotive takes place each year.

As the largest public event in Switzerland, the Geneva Motor Show reportedly brings in over $211 million to the local economy. The Foundation Salon International De L’Automobile’ are hoping it will be able to continue under new ownership.


BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Receives Phone Call From French President Macron

RIYADH – – Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has received a phone call from French President Emmanuel Macron in which they discussed bilateral relations. ‘During the call, they reviewed relations between the two countries and opportunities for joint cooperation. Regional and international developments were discussed, and a number of issues of common interest … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Receives Phone Call From French President Macron

BREAKING NEWS | Saudi To Reopen Qatar Embassy In Coming Days – Saudi Minister

RIYADH – – Saudi Arabia expects to re-open its embassy in Qatar in the coming days, Saudi’s foreign minister said on Saturday, following a U.S.-backed détente last week in a three – year-old dispute between Arab states. It is just a matter a logistics, Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister Faisal bin Farhan told journalists in Riyadh … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS | Saudi To Reopen Qatar Embassy In Coming Days – Saudi Minister

SPORTS | Formula One Season Set To Start In Bahrain After Australian Grand Prix Postponement

MILAN – – The start of the Formula One season has been delayed after the Australian Grand Prix was postponed from March to November because of the COVID-19 pandemic.The Australian race in Melbourne has been rescheduled from March 21 to November 21. The Chinese GP has also been delayed but no new date has been … Continue reading SPORTS | Formula One Season Set To Start In Bahrain After Australian Grand Prix Postponement

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s