LONDON – Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, felt ‘unprotected’ by the British Royal Family while she was pregnant with her son Archie, according to London High Court documents filed as part of her legal action against a tabloid newspaper.
Meghan, wife of Queen Elizabeth’s Grandson Prince Harry, is suing publisher Associated Newspapers over articles its Mail on Sunday newspaper printed last year which included parts of a handwritten letter she had sent to her estranged father, Thomas Markle, in August 2018.
Markle and his daughter have not spoken since he pulled out of appearing at her wedding to Harry in May 2018 after undergoing heart surgery and following news he had staged photos with a paparazzi photographer.
The Mails justified publishing the letter by saying five unnamed friends of Meghan, who gave birth to Archie in May 2019, had put her version of events in interviews with the U.S. magazine People.
Her legal team say it was untrue she had authorized or arranged for her friends to tell People about the letter.
‘The Claimant had become the subject of a large number of false and damaging articles by the U.K. tabloid media, specifically by the Defended, which caused tremendous emotional distress and damage to her mental health’, her lawyer said in a submission to the High Court.
‘As her friends had never seen her in this state before, they were rightly concerned for her welfare, specifically as she was pregnant, unprotected by the Institution, and prohibited from defending herself’.
The couple are now living in Los Angeles after stepping down from royal duties at the end of March. Harry said he had fallen out with his elder brother, Prince William, and Meghan has spoken of a lack of support when pregnant and as a new mother.
They have also said media intrusion, and what they believe are some newspapers’ racist coverage towards Meghan, whose mother is African –American and father is white, were behind their decision.
The trial for Meghan’s case is not expected this year. But in May, the judge rejected part of her claim that the paper had acted dishonestly and stoked the rift with her father.
On Wednesday, Harry said he regretted racism was ‘still endemic’ in society in comments for The Diana Award, established in memory of his later mother, Princess Diana, who was killed in a car crash in 1997, while fleeing paparazzi.
MILAN | ITALY – Honduras announced Tuesday it will reopen its airports to domestic and international flights in mid-August, after a nearly five-month closure due to the pandemic. The reopening of the airport is part of the government’s efforts to reactivate the economy, which is expected to contract between 7% and 8%, according to the … Continue reading Travel | Honduras To Reopen Domestic And International Flights In Mid-August
MILAN | ITALY – President Donald Trump on Tuesday cast a massive explosion that killed dozens of people and wounded thousands in Lebanon’s capital, Beirut, as a possible attack and offered U.S. help. ‘The United States ready to assist Lebanon’, Trump said at a White House briefing. ‘We will be there to help. It looks … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS | Trump Says Beirut Explosion Seems To Be ‘Bomb Of Some King’
MILAN | ITALY – President Donald Trump on Tuesday said he sent his sympathies to Lebanon for the dozens of people killed and thousands wounded in a massive explosion in Beirut, which he cast as an attack, and offered U.S. help. ‘The United States stands ready to assist Lebanon’, Trump said at a White House … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS | Trump Says U.S. Ready To Assist Lebanon After ‘Terrible Attack’
LONDON – Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Britain stood ready to provide any support it could to help Beirut after a massive explosion in the city’s port area killed 25 people and injured more than 2,500. ‘The pictures and videos from Beirut tonight are shocking’, Johnson wrote on Twitter. ‘All of my thoughts and prayer … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS | U.K. PM Johnson Offers Support To Beirut After Massive Blast
PARIS | FRANCE – France said it is ready to help Lebanon following a huge explosion near the center of Beirut that killed at least 50 people and injured hundreds. ‘France is always on the side of Lebanon and the Lebanese people. It is ready to offer assistance depending on the needs expressed by Lebanese … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS | France Says Ready To Help Lebanon Following Blast
BEIRUT | LEBANON – A huge explosion in port warehouses near central Beirut Killed more than 50 people, injured over 2,750 and sent shockwaves that shattered windows, smashed masonry and shook the ground across the Lebanese capital. Officials expected the death toll to rise further after Tuesday’s blast as emergency workers dug through rubble to … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS | Massive Blast Rips Through Beirut, Killing 50 And Injuring Thousands
RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia’s foreign ministry said on Tuesday that is it following with great concern the consequences of Beirut’s port explosion, according to the state news agency. The statement also affirmed the kingdom’s full support and solidarity with the Lebanese people. The death toll from a massive explosion in Beirut on … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Arabia Following With Great Concern Consequences Of Beirut’s Explosion: SPA
AMMAN – Jordan on Tuesday postponed a resumption of international flight services that was planned for Wednesday almost five months after they were suspended due to the coronavirus outbreak, officials said. Civil Aviation Commission chief Haitham Mistro has announced last month that Queen Alia International Airport outside the capital Amman would reopen on Aug.5 for … Continue reading TRAVEL | Jordan Delays Resuming International Flight After COVID-19 Surge Abroad
RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – The most popular rivalry in the Saudi Pro League (SPL) will take center stage as Al-Nassr host Al-Hilal on Wednesday, with safety precautions to allow the safe return of football in the Kingdom. The eagerness for football’s return will be highlighted when players arrive fully kitted at King Fahd Stadium, … Continue reading SPORT | Red Card For Virus As Saudi Pro League Returns With Riyadh Derby
MADRID – Spain’s former king Juan Carlos has told his son, King Felipe, that he is leaving the country, the Royal House said on Monday, in a dramatic move designed to protect the monarchy after corruption allegations against him surfaced. In June, the Spanish Supreme Court opened an investigation into Juan Carlos’s involvement in a … Continue reading ROYALS | Former King Juan Carlos To Leave Spain Amid Corruption Allegations