RIYAHD | SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia said Tuesday that because of the coronavirus only ‘very limited numbers’ of people will be allowed to perform the annual Hajj Pilgrimage that traditionally draws around 2 million people from around the world.
The kingdom’s Ministry of Hajj only people of various nationalities already residing in the country would be allowed to perform the large pilgrimage, which is set to begin this year at the end of July.
The government did not specify how many people would be permitted to take part.
Saudi Arabia said its decision to drastically limited the number of pilgrims was made due to the lack of an available vaccine for the virus or a cure for those infected, as well as the risks associated with large gatherings of people.
‘The decision was taken to ensure Hajj is performed in a safe manner from a public health perspective’, the government statement said.
The virus causes mild to moderate symptoms in most people, who recover within a few weeks. But it is highly contagious and can cause severe illness or death, particularly in older patients or those with underlying health problems.
All able-bodied Muslims are required to perform the Hajj Pilgrimage once in their lifetime. The pilgrimage centers around five intense days of worship and rituals in Mecca, however pilgrims typically begin arriving to Saudi Arabia through its main gateway city of Jeddah weeks and even months in advance.
The kingdom has one of the highest rates of coronavirus infections in the Middle East, with more than 161,000 total confirmed cases and 1,307 deaths.
Saudi Arabia had already suspended the smaller year-round Umrah Pilgrimage earlier this year and closed the Grand Mosque in Mecca, home to Islam’s holiest site, to the public. The city of Mecca was also under a strict lockdown around two months.
Although Saudi Arabia has lifted some restrictions in recent days around the country, the Umrah continues to be suspended and its borders remain shut to visitors and tourists.
Indonesia and Malaysia, which combined send around a quarter-million Muslims to the Hajj each year, had already announced they would not be sending their citizens to the pilgrimage this year.
BREAKING NEWS | Saudi – Led Coalition Intercepts Ballistic Rockets, Drones Launched By Yemen’s Houthis: State News Agency
RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – The Saudi –Led Coalition said on Monday that it intercepted and destroyed two ballistic rockets and six drones laden with explosives launched by Yemen’s Houthis towards the kingdom, the state news agency said, citing the coalition spokesman. The coalition has started a military operation against the Iran-aligned group after it … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS | Saudi – Led Coalition Intercepts Ballistic Rockets, Drones Launched By Yemen’s Houthis: State News Agency
VIENNA – Swiss sports shoe maker On, partly owned by tennis champion Roger Federer, is in the early stages of preparing for a stock exchange listing in summer or autumn of next year, newspaper NZZ am Sonntag reported. The Zurich – based company, founded 10 years ago, says it has special sole technology that is … Continue reading BUSINESS NEWS | Federer – Backed Sports Shoe Maker On Preparing For IPO, Swiss Paper Says
ABU DHABI – Abu Dhabi Fund For Development has suspended debt service repayments for some countries and companies for the year, the state-financed fund said on Sunday. The fund provides financial assistance to companies in the United Arab Emirates and to developing countries, which has included Pakistan, Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia. Debt service repayments would … Continue reading BUSINESS NEWS | Abu Dhabi Fund Suspends Debt Service Repayments For Countries, Companies
VATICAN – Pope Francis said on Sunday he was hurt by Turkey’s decision to make Istanbul’s Hagia Sophia museum a mosque, the latest religious leader to condemn the move. ‘My thoughts go to Istanbul. I think of Santa Sophia and I am very pained’, he said during his weekly blessing in St.Peter’s Square. Turkish President … Continue reading WORLD NEWS | Pope ‘Very Pained’ By Decision To Turn Istanbul’s Hagia Sophia Museum Into Mosque
RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia’s largest telecoms operator Saudi Telecom CO said on Sunday it would need another two months to complete the purchase of Vodafone Group’s 55% stake in Vodafone Egypt. STC signed a non-binding agreement in January to buy the majority stake for $2.4 billion, but extended the process in April … Continue reading BUSINESS | Saudi Telecom Extends Vodafone Egypt Stake Purchase For Second Time
A new documentary about the famed The Ritz Hotel is on its way. Inside The Ritz Hotel follows several important events that took place at the London hotel in recent months, including the launch of its first cookbook and an exclusive look inside the Michelin-starred kitchen. As well as all things foodie, the documentary series … Continue reading TV | There’s A New Documentary All About The Ritz Hotel
Angeline Jolie is no stronger to change. She’s worked as a Special Envoy of the High Commissioner for Refugees to bring attention to the challenges that refugees face around the world. With the current state of the world, which involves protestors everywhere fighting for racial equality, Jolie told Harper’s Bazzer U.K. that she’s sitting down … Continue reading THE POWER OF INFLUENCE | Angelina Jolie Discussed How She Talks To Her Kids About Racism
ABU DHABI – Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, discussed Friday with the Brazilian President, Jair Bolsonaro, bilateral relations and ways to enhance them in all fields. In a phone call, the two leaders reviewed a number of regional and international … Continue reading NEWS | Mohamed Bin Zayed Receives Brazilian President’s Phone Call
RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia’s King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman sent messages of condolences on Friday to the leaders of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on the death of Sheikh Ahmed bin Sultan Al Qasimi, deputy ruler of the emirate of Sharjah. ‘(We) ask God Almighty to bless him with … Continue reading NEWS | Saudi King, Crown Prince Send Condolences To UAE Leaders On Death Of Sharjah Official
WASHINGTON – The U.S. State Department on Friday said it ‘was disappointed’ by the government of Turkey’s decision to change the status of Istanbul’s Hagia Sophia after Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan declared the ancient monument a mosque again. ‘We understand the Turkish Government remains committed to maintaining access to the Hagia Sophia for all visitors, … Continue reading NEWS | U.S. State Department ‘Disappointed’ In Turkish Government Decision On Hagia Sophia