ENTERTAINMENT | Reese Witherspoon, Clothing Company Sued By Teachers For Misleading Dress Giveaway Amid Coronavirus Pandemic

Reese Witherspoon has been sued by a group of teachers for an alleged misealding dress giveaway involving her clothing company, Draper James, according to a new report.

Back in April, the  ‘Little Fires Everywhere’ actress, 44, champions teachers around the country amid the coronavirus pandemic by offering them a chance to snag a free dress. However, she was hit with backlash quickly after teachers realized that only a fraction of participants who applied to the giveaway would actually by receiving a dress.

Now, according to TMZ, three women have put together a class-action lawsuit against the A-list star and Draper James, which she founded, for benefiting off of the giveaway while most teachers came up short.

In the suit, the educators allege that the giveaway required them to input personal information and that they’d be notified within three days whether or not they were winners.

There was a small caveat mentioned in the giveaway at the time: the offer would be valid ‘while supplies last’.

According to the outlet, the legal papers claim the teachers were misled because Draper James failed to explain that they only had a total of 250 dresses to give out. Close to one million applications had reportedly been submitted.

In the documents, the teachers argue that the total cost of 250 Draper James dresses would result ‘in an  estimated paltry $12,500 in actual cost’ to the actress’ company. They claim this giveaway came ‘at a time when other individuals of (Reese) Witherspoon’s renown were offering millions of  dollars to COVID-19 victims’.

The women accused Witherspoon and her clothing brand of attracting publicity for the cause through mentions on morning talk shoes ‘Today’ and ‘Good Morning America’.

Shortly after the giveaway was activated, teachers from all over bombarded the brand’s social media accounts with complaints that they never received emails confirming the receipt of their applications.

Marissa Cooley, a senior vice president for brand’s marketing and creative departments, previously spoke out about the shortage in a statement to the New York Times.

‘We felt like we moved too quickly and didn’t anticipate the volume of the response. We were really overwhelmed. It was way more volume than the company had ever seen. We expected the single-digit thousands’, she said.

According to The New York Times, the application from ‘crashed’ right away. The initial Instagram post about the giveaway was viewed 400,000 times and close to one million applications had been received, the outlet said.

Reps for Witherspoon and Draper James did not immediately respond to Fox News’ requests for comment on Tuesday but an attorney for the brand told TMZ the business had only good intentions to commend educators.

‘This lawsuit is an unjust attempt to exploit Draper James’ good intentions to honor the teacher community by gifting hundreds of free dresses. The fact that supplies were limited, such that a free dress could not be provided to every teacher who responded, was disclosed and is no basis for a lawsuit’, attorney Theane Evangelis told the outlet.

‘Draper James looks forward to defending this case, to continuing its efforts to acknowledge the extraordinary contributions made by teachers during this time of need, and to being vindicated in court’.

According to the site, the women have sued on behalf of all of the participants and are seeking damages.


BUSINESS NEWS | Saudi Non – Oil Private Sector Shrinks Again In June – PMI

RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia’s non – oil private sector shrank for the fourth straight month in June as measures to contain the spread of the new coronavirus continued to hit consumer demand, a survey on Sunday. The seasonally adjusted HIS Markit Saudi Arabia Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) fell to 47.7 in June … Continue reading BUSINESS NEWS | Saudi Non – Oil Private Sector Shrinks Again In June – PMI

CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC | Global Coronavirus Cases Exceed 11 Million

WASHINGTON – Global coronavirus cases exceeded 11 million on Friday, according to a Reuters tally, marking another milestone in the spread of the disease that has killed more than half a million people in seven months. The number of cases is more than double the figure for severe influenza illnesses recorded annually, according to the … Continue reading CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC | Global Coronavirus Cases Exceed 11 Million

SUPERCARS | Lamborghini SCV12 Track – Only Hypercar Has Most Powerful V12 Engine Yet

Lamborghini’s new limited-edition SCV12 hypercar boasts most powerful V12 engine in a Lamborghini and is made only for the track. Earlier this year Lamborghini teased with an upcoming project that gave hints of a racing circuit but didn’t go so far to share the entire of the details – now we know why. Announced as … Continue reading SUPERCARS | Lamborghini SCV12 Track – Only Hypercar Has Most Powerful V12 Engine Yet

TRAVEL | UAE Allows Citizens And Residents To Travel Abroad

DUBAI – The United Arab Emirates will allow both citizens and residents to travel abroad, the state news agency reported on Friday. In March, the UAE suspended all inbound and outbound passenger flights and the transit of airline passengers in the UAE, allowing only cargo and emergency evacuation flights.

NEWS | UNESCO Says Logo Being Used Illegally For Arts Trafficking

PARIS | FRANCE – The United Nations’ cultural agency has warned that its name and logo are being illegally emblazoned on false documents to facilitate illicit trafficking in African cultural property. UNESCO urged ‘vigilance’ Wednesday after it received numerous reports of such fraud and instance where its name was being used to certify the monetary … Continue reading NEWS | UNESCO Says Logo Being Used Illegally For Arts Trafficking

SUPERCARS | The 2021 Geneva International Motor Show is canceled as event organizers seek a new owner for the largest public event in Switzerland.

GENEVA – Following the 2020 Geneva International Motor Show’s cancellation due to the COVID-10 pandemic, the 2021 event has suffered the same fate as the Committee and Council of Foundation ‘Salon International de l’Automobile’ has decided not to proceed with organizing the event. Although it’s possible travel restriction will be lifted by next year, in … Continue reading SUPERCARS | The 2021 Geneva International Motor Show is canceled as event organizers seek a new owner for the largest public event in Switzerland.

NEWS ALERT | Saudi – Led Coalition Destroyed Four Houthi Drones Over Yemen – Saudi Press Agency

RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – The Saudi – led military coalition battling the Houthis in Yemen said on Friday it had destroyed four explosive-laden-drones launched by the Iran-aligned group in the direction of Saudi Arabia, the official Saudi Press Agency reported. The drones were intercepted over territory controlled by the Houthis in Yemen, the agency … Continue reading NEWS ALERT | Saudi – Led Coalition Destroyed Four Houthi Drones Over Yemen – Saudi Press Agency

NEWS ALERT | Yemen’s Houthis Say Targeted Saudi Airport, Air Base With Drones

RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Iran-aligned Houthi forces in Yemen said on Friday they targeted Khamis Mushait and Najran in Saudi Arabia with drones, Houthi military spokesman Yahya Saria said on Twitter. The Saudi – led coalition said earlier on Friday it intercepted and destroyed four explosive – laden drones launched by the group in … Continue reading NEWS ALERT | Yemen’s Houthis Say Targeted Saudi Airport, Air Base With Drones

SOCIAL MEDIA | Canada’s Biggest Banks Join Boycott Of Facebook Platforms

TORONTO – Canada’s biggest lenders confirmed on Friday they had joined a widespread boycott of Facebook Inc. begun by U.S. civil rights groups seeking to pressure the world’s largest social media platform to take concrete steps to block hate speech. More than 400 brands have pulled advertising on Facebook in response to the ‘Stop Hate … Continue reading SOCIAL MEDIA | Canada’s Biggest Banks Join Boycott Of Facebook Platforms

TRAVEL WARNINGS | Austria Warns Against Travel To Non – EU Western Balkan Countries

VIENNA – Austria has issued travel warnings for Western Balkan countries outside the European Union (E.U) due to a rise in coronavirus infections here, Foreign Minister Alexander Schallenberg said on Wednesday. The move by Austria, which has close ties to the region, is a particular blow for Serbia and Montenegro, which the EU on Tuesday … Continue reading TRAVEL WARNINGS | Austria Warns Against Travel To Non – EU Western Balkan Countries

Loading…

Something went wrong. Please refresh the page and/or try again.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s