POLITICS | Trump Says He Is Considering Restoring Some Funding To WHO, No Decision Made

WASHINGTON – U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday his administration was considering numerous proposal about the World Health Organization, including one in which Washington would pay about 10% of its former level.

In a posting on Twitter, Trump underscored that no final decision had been made and that U.S. funding for the global health agency remained frozen.

Trump suspended U.S. contribution to the WHO on April 14, accusing it of promoting China’s ‘disinformation’ about the coronavirus outbreak and saying his administration would launch a review of the organization. WHO officials denied the claims and China has insisted it was transparent and open.

Fox News, citing a draft letter, reported late on Friday that Trump was poised to restore partial funding to the WHO, matching China’s assessed contribution.

The United States was the WHO’s biggest donor. If the United States matches China’s contribution, as the Fox report indicated, its new funding level will be about one-tenth its previous funding amount of about $400 million per year.

Responding to criticism about resuming payments, Trump said, ‘This is just one of numerous concepts being considered under which we would pay 10% of what we have been paying over many years, matching much lower China payments. Have not made final decision. All funds are frozen’.


SPORTS NEWS | European Soccer’s Return To Action After Coronavirus

BUCHAREST | ROMANIA – Professional soccer leagues around Europe are gearing up for a return to action following the novel coronavirus stoppage, but some are more advanced than others. Here is a roundup of the state of play: GERMANY The Bundesliga restarted on May 16, games played without fans and with a strict health protocol … Continue reading SPORTS NEWS | European Soccer’s Return To Action After Coronavirus

NEWS ALERT | Saudi Crown Prince Receives Phone Call From President of Russia

RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA  – – Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Bin Abdulazi Al Saud, Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, received a phone call from President Vladimir Putin of the Russian Federation. During the phone conversation, they discussed the efforts being exerted to stabilize the oil markets. From his part, President Putin … Continue reading NEWS ALERT | Saudi Crown Prince Receives Phone Call From President of Russia

NEWS ALERT | Saudi-Led Coalition Says It Downs Houthi Drones Launched At Najran

RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – The Saudi-led coalition engaged in Yemen said its forces intercepted and downed drones launched by the Iran-aligned Houthi movement towards the Saudi border city of Najran on Wednesday in the first such incident since late March. There was no immediate comment from the Houthi group about the attack, which comes … Continue reading NEWS ALERT | Saudi-Led Coalition Says It Downs Houthi Drones Launched At Najran

Loading…

Something went wrong. Please refresh the page and/or try again.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s