SPORTS NEWS | F1 Still Face A Challenge With Revised Season Plan

JEDDAH | SAUDI ARABIA – Formula One plans to start its stalled season with two races behind closed doors in Austria in July before more of the same at Britain’s Silverstone circuit, insiders said on Monday.

If they go ahead as planned, it will be a first for a sport that has yet to see a circuit host two races in a single seasons or any grand prix without paying spectators since the championship started in 1950.

The bigger challenge will likely be stringing together a championship of up to 18 races from continent to continent in a world still wrestling with the COVID-19 pandemic and mass fatalities.

‘We still have to work out many issues like the procedures for the teams and our other partners to enter and operate in each country’, Formula One chairman and chief executive Chase Carey recognized on Monday.

‘All of our plans are obviously subject to change as we still have many issues to address and all of us are subject to the unknowns of the virus’.

Ten races have been postponed or cancelled so far and the 10 teams and commercial tights holders Liberty Media are understandably keen to get going with television money and sponsorship at stake.

The target of 15-18 races, down from an original record 22, looks an ambitious one in the light of travel restrictions, government bans on mass gatherings and popular opinion.

Race in Azerbaijan, Sapin, the Netherlands, Vietnam, China and Canada are among those hoping to be rescheduled with Bahrain and Abu Dhabi set to be paired at the end of the season in December.

Races in Hungary, Belgium, Italy, Texas, Mexico, Brazil, Russia, Japan and Singapore also remain in play.

Monday’s announcement, coming after the French Grand Prix Followed Monaco in cancelling, at least provided some grounds for hope.

Control The Train Set

‘Starting in Austria makes sense, a venue where maybe we can control the train set because Red Bull own that circuit’, said Sky Sports commentator Martin Brundle.

‘A smaller country, a smaller government to deal with, because the hoops to jump through and the logistics we need to sort out before we can get Formula One up and running again are pretty significant and challenging’.

Austria, with fewer reported deaths in total from the new coronavirus than some larger countries have suffered daily, has already started to loosen its lockdown and has said it is not against the race being held.

The Red Bull Ring also has a nearby airport at Zeltweg capable of handling charter for F1 personnel, who would all likely be tested before departure.

Even with teams reduced to minimum staffing level and most media absent, marshals and medics and security would still likely take the on-site tally to well over 1,000 people.

Britain is home to seven teams and six-times world champion Lewis Hamilton but Silverstone would also be off-limits to spectators.

Silverstone managing director Sturat Pringle said he wanted the race to happen and the circuit was very flexible.

He was also encouraged that the authorities had indicated over the weekend that they were keen to start a dialogue between medical officials and sport.

‘This is a situation which is unfolding and quite what the costs associated with that, the logistics, the complications – all of that is still being worked through’, he told Sky Sports televisions.

‘I think the challenge is much more around knitting together a season that will flow naturally and have the certainty that it will run’, he added.


SPORTS | Formula One Season Set To Start In Bahrain After Australian Grand Prix Postponement

MILAN – – The start of the Formula One season has been delayed after the Australian Grand Prix was postponed from March to November because of the COVID-19 pandemic.The Australian race in Melbourne has been rescheduled from March 21 to November 21. The Chinese GP has also been delayed but no new date has been … Continue reading SPORTS | Formula One Season Set To Start In Bahrain After Australian Grand Prix Postponement

BREAKING NEWS | Investments In Saudi Arabia’s Economy Will Reach Six Trillion Dollars: Crown Prince

AL ULA – – Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman says major investment opportunities in Saudi Arabia will amount to six trillion dollars over the next ten years, including 3 trillion dollars in investments in new projects, within the framework of the opportunities provided by Vision 2030, reported Saudi Press Agency. Saudi Arabia’s Crown … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS | Investments In Saudi Arabia’s Economy Will Reach Six Trillion Dollars: Crown Prince

TRAVEL | Saudi Arabia Warns Citizens Against Travel To 12 Countries Without Approval Over Virus Fears

RIYADH – – Saudi Arabia warned on Wednesday its citizens against travel without prior approval to 12 countries where the coronavirus pandemic is still not under control.The Interior Ministry said the countries were Libya, Syria, Lebanon, Yemen, Iran, Turkey, Somalia, Armenia, Congo, Afghanistan, Venezuela and Belarus.It added that the same permission applies to other countries … Continue reading TRAVEL | Saudi Arabia Warns Citizens Against Travel To 12 Countries Without Approval Over Virus Fears

ROYALS | Oman Sultan’s Eldest Son Dhi Yazan To Succeed Him, Becoming First Crown Prince

RIYADH – – Oman’s Sultan Haitham will be succeeded by his eldest son Dhi Yazan, according to a new basic law published on Tuesday that creates a new position of crown prince and established succession from ruler to the eldest son. Sultan Haitham bin Tariq Al-Said has announced plans for the constitutional change on Monday, … Continue reading ROYALS | Oman Sultan’s Eldest Son Dhi Yazan To Succeed Him, Becoming First Crown Prince

SOCIAL MEDIA | YouTube Suspends Trump’s Channel After Violating Policy On Inciting Violence

Alphabet Inc.’s YouTube said on Tuesday it has suspended Donald Trump’s channel as it violated policies for inciting violence after last week’s assault on the U.S. Capitol by the president’s supporters. Online platforms and social media companies are distancing themselves from, and taking action against, those that encouraged or engaged in the violence in Washington, … Continue reading SOCIAL MEDIA | YouTube Suspends Trump’s Channel After Violating Policy On Inciting Violence

BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Congratulates Romanian PM, On Winning President, Parliament Confidence

RIYADH – – HRH Prince Mohammad bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, has sent a cable of congratulations to Prime Minister of Romanian Florin Citu on obtaining the confidence of the Romanian President as well as the parliament for the office of the prime minister.  HRH … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Congratulates Romanian PM, On Winning President, Parliament Confidence

BREAKING NEWS | Saudi King Congratulates Romanian PM, on Winning President, Parliament Confidence

RIYADH — The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud sent a cable of congratulations to the Romanian Prime Minister Florin Citu, on obtaining the confidence of His Excellency Romanian President as well as the parliament for the office of the Prime Minister. In his cable, the King expressed sincere … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS | Saudi King Congratulates Romanian PM, on Winning President, Parliament Confidence

BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Arabia Welcomes Washington’s Designation Of Houthis As Terrorist

RIYADH – – Saudi Arabia welcomed on Monday the American admiration’s decision to designate the Iran – backed Houthi militias and their leaders as terrorist. In a statement, the Foreign Ministry said the move is in line with the ‘demands of the legitimate Yemeni government to rein in the Houthis over their violations that have … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Arabia Welcomes Washington’s Designation Of Houthis As Terrorist

NEWS ALERT | Oman To Get Its First Crown Prince In Constitutional Overhaul

MILAN – – Oman’s sultan announced on Monday  a constitutional shakeup that includes the appointment of crown price for the first time and new rules on how parliament will work, state media said. A new basic law issued by Sultan Haitham Bin Tariq al – Said also emphasizes the role of the state in guaranteeing … Continue reading NEWS ALERT | Oman To Get Its First Crown Prince In Constitutional Overhaul

BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Receives Italian FM in AlUla

AL ULA – – Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, received in AlUla on Sunday Italian Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio. Talks focused on bilateral relations and the promising opportunities to develop them in all fields. They also tackled regional and international dedvelopments. The meeting was attended by Saudi … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Receives Italian FM in AlUla

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s