SPORTS | Horse Racing: Saudi Cup Withholds Prize Money After Trainer Servis Charged

RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Organisers of the Saudi Cup, the world’s richest horse race, have said they will withhold the $20 million prize purse pending the completion of an internal investigation after winning trainer Jason Servis was indicated in a doping scheme.

Servis, who trained race winner Maximum Security, was one of 27 trainers, veterinarians, drug distributors and other charged in the United States last month in a wide-ranging scheme to drug horses and cheat bettors.

Maximum Security won Saudi Cup in February and the colt’s owner Gary West fired Servis following his indictment, replacing him with Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert.

The Jockey Club of Saudi Arabia (JCSA) said in a statement that its investigation into Servis had been slowed by the COVID-19 pandemic.

‘The JCSA is aware that Jason Servis has been indicated in the U.S. on charges relating to the administration of prohibited substances to horses under his care and control’, the statement said.

‘The JCSA is conducting its own investigation into the allegations and until that is concluded, will withhold payment of prize money to all connections of horses placed in prize-winning positions.

‘The decision has been communicated privately to connections of Saudi Cup runners. Due to difficult operational circumstances caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the investigation is not yet concluded’.

Maximum Security held off Midnight Bisou to win the Saudi Cup with Benbatl finishing third. The winner was to receive $10 million, with the runner-up and third-places finisher earning $3.5 million and $2 million.

Servis, who prosecutors say covertly administered performance- enhancing drugs to Maximum Security and ‘virtually all of the racehorses under his control’, would plead not guilty to the charges, his lawyer has said. Maximum Security also finished first in the 2019 Kentucky Derby but was later disqualified for inte


NEWS ALERT | Insulting Muslims is an abuse of free speech, Iran’s Zarif Says

MILAN | ITALY – Insulting Muslims is an ‘opportunistic’ abuse of free speech, Iran’s foreign minister said on Monday, in an apparent reference to remarks by French President Emmanuel Macron perceived to be critical of Islam. ‘Muslims are the primary victims of the ‘cult of hatred’, the minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, tweeted, without directly addressing … Continue reading NEWS ALERT | Insulting Muslims is an abuse of free speech, Iran’s Zarif Says

BREAKING NEWS | Pakistan’s PM Takes Aim At Macron; Asks Facebook To Ban Islamophobic Content

MILAN | ITALY – – Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan called on Facebook to ban Islamophobic content on its platform, warning of a spike in radicalization Muslims, hours after he hit out at the French president for ‘attacking Islam’. Pakistan summoned the French ambassador in Islamabad as anger spread on Monday over President Emmanuel Macron’s … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS | Pakistan’s PM Takes Aim At Macron; Asks Facebook To Ban Islamophobic Content

G20 SAUDI ARABIA | King Salman Says Pandemic Proved Flexibility, Strength Of Saudi Economy

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz stressed on Monday that the novel coronavirus pandemic demonstrated the flexibility and strength of the Saudi economy. In an address before the Business 20, he said: ‘We are determined to boost development and prosperity through empowerment and investment in new sectors’. Minister of Investment Khalid … Continue reading G20 SAUDI ARABIA | King Salman Says Pandemic Proved Flexibility, Strength Of Saudi Economy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s