SPORTS | Horse Racing: Saudi Cup Withholds Prize Money After Trainer Servis Charged

RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Organisers of the Saudi Cup, the world’s richest horse race, have said they will withhold the $20 million prize purse pending the completion of an internal investigation after winning trainer Jason Servis was indicated in a doping scheme.

Servis, who trained race winner Maximum Security, was one of 27 trainers, veterinarians, drug distributors and other charged in the United States last month in a wide-ranging scheme to drug horses and cheat bettors.

Maximum Security won Saudi Cup in February and the colt’s owner Gary West fired Servis following his indictment, replacing him with Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert.

The Jockey Club of Saudi Arabia (JCSA) said in a statement that its investigation into Servis had been slowed by the COVID-19 pandemic.

‘The JCSA is aware that Jason Servis has been indicated in the U.S. on charges relating to the administration of prohibited substances to horses under his care and control’, the statement said.

‘The JCSA is conducting its own investigation into the allegations and until that is concluded, will withhold payment of prize money to all connections of horses placed in prize-winning positions.

‘The decision has been communicated privately to connections of Saudi Cup runners. Due to difficult operational circumstances caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the investigation is not yet concluded’.

Maximum Security held off Midnight Bisou to win the Saudi Cup with Benbatl finishing third. The winner was to receive $10 million, with the runner-up and third-places finisher earning $3.5 million and $2 million.

Servis, who prosecutors say covertly administered performance- enhancing drugs to Maximum Security and ‘virtually all of the racehorses under his control’, would plead not guilty to the charges, his lawyer has said. Maximum Security also finished first in the 2019 Kentucky Derby but was later disqualified for inte


NEWS ALERT | In U.N. Debut, Saudi King Calls For Comprehensive Solution On Iran

NEW YORK  – Saudi Arabia’s King Salman bin Abudlaziz on Wednesday called for a comprehensive solution on Iran and disarming its affiliate Hezbollah in Lebanon, and expressed support for U.S. efforts to start talks between Israel and the Palestinians during his first address to the United Nations General Assembly. He said Iran has exploited a … Continue reading NEWS ALERT | In U.N. Debut, Saudi King Calls For Comprehensive Solution On Iran

ARTS & CULTURE & ENTERTAINMENT | Jeddah Host The Red Sea Museum

The Saudi Ministry of Culture announced the establishment of the Red Sea Museum, which will open its doors in 2020, in Bab Al Banat in the Historic Jeddah. The ministry says the museum will include manuscripts, photos, and books, which tell the story of the Bab al-Bunt’s heritage and demonstrate its role as a historical … Continue reading ARTS & CULTURE & ENTERTAINMENT | Jeddah Host The Red Sea Museum

NEWS | Saudi Deputy Defense Minister Hopes Peace Is Restored In Yemen Based On Riyadh Agreement

RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Deputy Defense Minister Prince Khalid bin Salman said Tuesday that the Kingdom is looking forward to the establishment  of ‘comprehensive and lasting peace in Yemen through the implementation of the Riyadh Agreement’. On the occasion of the International Day of Peace, he said: ‘We look forward to the day … Continue reading NEWS | Saudi Deputy Defense Minister Hopes Peace Is Restored In Yemen Based On Riyadh Agreement

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s