BREAKING NEWS | Saudi – Led Coalition To Announce Yemen Ceasefire At Midnight: sources

RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – The Saudi – led coalition fighting Yemen’s Iran – aligned Houthi movement will announce at midnight on Wednesday it is halting military operations nationwide to support a U.N. ceasefire initiative, three sources familiar with the matter told Reuters.

The suspension in fighting, expected to go into effect on Thursday, was agreed in part to avoid a potential outbreak of the new coronavirus in Yemen, where no cases have yet been reported, two of sources said.

It was unclear if the Houthi movement would follow the coalition’s decision.

Mohammed Abdulsalam, spokesman of the Houthi movement, said his group has sent to the United Nations a comprehensive vision which includes an end to the war and to ‘the blockade’ imposed on Yemen.

‘(Our proposal) will lay the foundations for a political dialogue and a transitional period’, Abdulsalam said in a Twitter post on Wedbesday.

The Saudi-led coalition did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Last week, U.N. special envoy Martin Griffiths sent a proposal to the internationally recognized government, the Saudi – led military coalition that supports it and the Houthi movement that controls the capital Sanaa and most of northern Yemen.

The parties are expected to convene via video conference to discuss the proposal which calls for a nationwide ceasefire, including halting all air, ground and naval hostilities, and for the parties to ensure compliance by forces on frontlines.

The United Nations and Western allies have been pointing to the threat of coronavirus to push Yemen’s combatants to agree to fresh talks to end a war that has left millions vulnerable to disease.

Yemen had witnessed a lull in military action after Saudi Arabia and the Houthis launched back – channel talks late last year. But there has been a recent spike in violence that threatens fragile peace deals in vital port cities.

Yemen has been mired in conflict since the Houthis ousted the government from power in Sana, in late 2014.


NEWS ALERT | In U.N. Debut, Saudi King Calls For Comprehensive Solution On Iran

NEW YORK  – Saudi Arabia’s King Salman bin Abudlaziz on Wednesday called for a comprehensive solution on Iran and disarming its affiliate Hezbollah in Lebanon, and expressed support for U.S. efforts to start talks between Israel and the Palestinians during his first address to the United Nations General Assembly. He said Iran has exploited a … Continue reading NEWS ALERT | In U.N. Debut, Saudi King Calls For Comprehensive Solution On Iran

ARTS & CULTURE & ENTERTAINMENT | Jeddah Host The Red Sea Museum

The Saudi Ministry of Culture announced the establishment of the Red Sea Museum, which will open its doors in 2020, in Bab Al Banat in the Historic Jeddah. The ministry says the museum will include manuscripts, photos, and books, which tell the story of the Bab al-Bunt’s heritage and demonstrate its role as a historical … Continue reading ARTS & CULTURE & ENTERTAINMENT | Jeddah Host The Red Sea Museum

NEWS | Saudi Deputy Defense Minister Hopes Peace Is Restored In Yemen Based On Riyadh Agreement

RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Deputy Defense Minister Prince Khalid bin Salman said Tuesday that the Kingdom is looking forward to the establishment  of ‘comprehensive and lasting peace in Yemen through the implementation of the Riyadh Agreement’. On the occasion of the International Day of Peace, he said: ‘We look forward to the day … Continue reading NEWS | Saudi Deputy Defense Minister Hopes Peace Is Restored In Yemen Based On Riyadh Agreement

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s