BUCHAREST – The South by Southwest music, technology and film festival in Austin, Texas, was canceled on Friday, adding a growing list of events being suspended around the world over concerns about the spreading coronavirus outbreak.
Known as SXSW, the annual showcase of pop culture had been scheduled to run March 13 to 22. Organizers and local officials said at a news conference that they had concluded it was unwise to draw crowds of people together in close proximity with the number of coronavirus cases rising around the world.
The novel coronavirus has spread more than 90 countries. No cases have been confirmed in Austin.
‘It is not a panic decision’, Travis County Judge Sarah Eckhard said of the cancellation.
SXSW began 33 years ago as a music festival but evolved to also highlight technology, video games, TV shows and movies. It has become a major promotional event for media and tech companies and last year attracted more then 417,000 people, organizers said.
The spread of coronavirus, which has infected more than 100,000 people worldwide and killed more than 3,400, has sent ripples throughout the media, music and technology businesses.
Earlier this week, Comcast Corp’s Universal Pictures postponed the global release of James Bond movie ‘No Time To Die’, originally scheduled for April, to November. And the Ultra Music Festival, one of the world’s largest dance music festivals and set for this month in Miami, was canceled.
Other big U.S. events that have been scuttled include two developer conferences planned for May in California’s Silicon Valley – Facebook Inc’s F8 conference and Alphabet Inc’s Google I/O conference.
RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – The Saudi Health Ministry has introduced a self – assessment features on its Mawid smartphone app amid the global outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), offering a consultation window for the public The feature includes a list of questions, guidelines and instruction based on the users’ recent travel history and their … Continue reading HEALTH | Saudi Arabia’s Mawid Smartphone App Offers Coronavirus Self-Assessment
LONDON – The OPEC+ crude oil exporter is debating cutting global supply by 10 million barrels per day, an OPEC source said on Friday, adding any further cuts must include producers from outside the alliance. U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday he had broken a deal with top crude producers Russia and Saudi Arabia … Continue reading BUSINESS | OPEC+ Producers Debating Possible Oil Cuts Of 10 Million Bpd: OPEC Source
RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia’s King Salman has ordered up to 9 billion riyals ($2.4 billion) to be disbursed to pay part of the wages of private-sector workers to deter companies from laying off staff, the state-run Saudi Press Agency reported on Friday. The latest measure to tackle the fallout from the coronavirus … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS|Saudi King Earmarks $2.4 Billion To Pay Private – Sector Workers: State News Agency
RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Kuwait supports Saudi Arabia’s invitation for a meeting between OPEC and non-OPEC oil producers, an informational grouping known as OPEC+, to curb global oil supply and halt the oil price rout, oil minister Khaled al-Fadhel said Friday. The energy ministry of non –OPEC producer Azerbaijan, meanwhile, said the OPEC+ meeting … Continue reading BUSINESS | Kuwait Backs OPEC+ Merting, Resumes Neutral Zone Shipments With Saudi
RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, made Thursday a telephone call to Crown Prince of Britain and Prince of Wales Prince Charles who has recently recovered from the novel Coronavirus. During the phone conversation, HRH Crown Prince was reassured … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Makes Telephone Call To Crown Prince Of Britain