BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Arabia Says It Intercepts Yemen Missiles Ahead Of G20 Meeting

RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia said it had intercepted several ballistic missiles fired by Yemeni Houthi forces towards Saudi cities on Friday ahead of a gathering of finance ministers and central bankers from the Group of 20 major economies in Riyadh.

The Iranian – aligned armed movement launched the missiles from the Yemeni capital Sanaa at 12:30am, Saudi news agency SPA quoted the spokesman of the Saudi – led coalition in Yemen as saying. It gave no further details.

A Houthi military statement said the group had successfully attacked Saudi Aramco and sensitive targets in the Red Sea city of Yanbu using drones and ballistic missiles, without providing evidence.

Aramco, the kingdom’s state-owned oil company, declined to comment.

The G20 meeting, at which finance officials are due to discuss the global economy, continued as scheduled. It was unclear if any of projectiles had been fired towards Riyadh, which has been targeted previously.

Separately, the Saudi police said they arrested a man who had opened fire on a car and then run over the driver in Medina. Three members of the security forces were wounded in the process, a police spokesman was quoted as saying by SPA.

An escalation of violence in Yemen since the start of the year has shattered more than three months of calm in the five-year-old conflict, widely seen as proxy war between Saudi Arabia and its regional foe Iran.

Saudi Arabia has been holding informal talks with the Houthis since late September about de-escalation. Riyadh had significantly reduced its air strikes in Yemen and the Houthis had halted missile and drone attacks on Saudi Arabia.

But violence resumed on northern frontlines in January and led to renewed Houthi missile strikes, the first since attacks on Saudi oil facilities in September knocked  out more than half its crude output. The Saudi – led coalition resumed retaliatory bombings.

Three sources close to the discussions between Riyadh and the Houthis said factions in Yemen’s Saudi-backed government had provoked the unrest to try to undermine the talks, fearful that a deal may weaken their own position in any wider negotiations.

A spokesman for the government denied its forces provoked the Houthis and told Reuters that they were responding to advances by the group. A Houthi official accused the government of trying to make territorial gains during the lull in violence.

The escalation endangers months of peace efforts by Saudi Arabia and the United Nations, and highlights the challenge Riyadh faces in trying to exit a costly and unpopular war.

BREAKING NEWS | Saudi – Led Coalition To Announce Yemen Ceasefire At Midnight: sources

RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – The Saudi – led coalition fighting Yemen’s Iran – aligned Houthi movement will announce at midnight on Wednesday it is halting military operations nationwide to support a U.N. ceasefire initiative, three sources familiar with the matter told Reuters. The suspension in fighting, expected to go into effect on Thursday, was … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS | Saudi – Led Coalition To Announce Yemen Ceasefire At Midnight: sources

BREAKING NEWS | Saudi – Led Coalition To Begin Yemen Ceasefire on Thursday: Saudi Officials

RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – The Saudi-led coalition fighting the Houthi movement in Yemen will begin a two-week ceasefire on Thursday, senior Saudi officials said on Wednesday. The ceasefire will start at noon Saudi Arabia time on Thursday, they said. The officials, briefing reporters by telephone, said the ceasefire was aimed at giving the Iran  … Continue reading BREAKING NEWS | Saudi – Led Coalition To Begin Yemen Ceasefire on Thursday: Saudi Officials

ROYALS | Meghan Markle, Prince Harry Catch Backlash For Unveiling Their Charity Name During The Coronavirus Pandemic

BUCHAREST | ROMANIA – Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are catching some backlash after revealing the name of their new charity organization amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. The announcement came as U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson was admitted to intensive care after contracting the coronavirus, which made many feel it was an insensitive time for … Continue reading ROYALS | Meghan Markle, Prince Harry Catch Backlash For Unveiling Their Charity Name During The Coronavirus Pandemic

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s