RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA, December 1, 2019 – The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia assumed the G20 Presidency today, leading up to the Leaders’ Summit in Riyadh on 21-22 November, 2020. The Saudi G20 Presidency commends the work of the Japanese G20 Presidency in 2019 and will continue to support the group’s efforts to forge global cooperation.
Commenting on the Presidency launch, His Royal Highness Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud, the Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, said: “The Saudi G20 Presidency is committed to continuing the work from Osaka and promoting multilateral consensus, Working with our G20 partners, we will strive to deliver concrete actions and realize opportunities to enable us to face the challenges of the future”.
Prince Mohammed Bin Salman added: “The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is at the crossroads of three continents – Asia, Africa and Europe. In hosting the G20, the Kingdom will have an important role to play by sharing the perspective of the Middle East and North Africa region. We believe this will be a unique opportunity to shape consensus on international issues as we welcome the world to the kingdom”.
The Kingdom will guide the work of the G20 under the theme of “Realizing Opportunities of the 21st Century for All” and will focus on three aims:
- Empowering People, by creating the condition in which all people – especially women and young people – can live, work and thrive.
- Safeguarding the Planet, by fostering collective efforts on food and water security, climate, energy and environment.
- Shaping New Frontiers, by adopting long-term, bold strategies to share benefits of innovation and technological advancement.
During its G20 Presidency, The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is committed to ensuring the G20 continues to reflect a broad and inclusive range of international perspectives. In line with that commitment, the Kingdom has extended invitations to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, the Republic of Singapore, the Kingdom of Spain and the Swiss Confederation. Additionally, regional organizations are also invited, including the Arab Monetary Fund (AMF), the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), as well as the Socialist Republic of Vietnam as the Chair of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), the Republic of South Africa as the Chair of the African Union (AU), the United Arab Emirates as the Chair of Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), and the Republic of Senegal as the Chair of the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD).
International organizations have historically contributed significantly to the G20 agenda. Invited international organizations for 2020 include the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), the Financial Stability Board (FSB), the International Labor Organization (ILO), the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), the United Nations (UN), the United Nations (UN), the World Bank Group (WBG), the World Health Organization (WHO) and the World Trade Organization (WTO).
In the run-up to the Leaders’ Summit, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will host more than 100 events and conferences, including ministerial meetings and meetings of officials and representatives from civil society, including the Business 20, Youth 20, Labour 20, Think 20, Civil 20, Women 20, Science 20 and Urban 20.
Further information, including the Presidency Agenda and full program of events, can be found on the G20 website: http://www.g20.org.
- BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Arabia Continues To Support Yemeni PeopleRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – – The Saudi Cabinet stressed on Tuesday that Riyadh will continue to provide humanitarian aid to the Yemeni people through the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center. Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz chaired the cabinet meeting that was held in Riyadh. Media Minister Turki … Read more
- ARTS & CULTURE & ENTERTAINMENT | Red Sea International Film Festival Reveals Details Of Its First EditionJEDDAH | SAUDI ARABIA – The Red Sea International Film Festival announced on Monday the program details, competition lineup and industry initiatives of its first edition at a press conference held in Al-Balad Historic Jeddah, Bait Qabil. Set to take place March 12-21 at the UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Festival will shed light on … Read more
- FASHION | Saudi Designer Yousef Akbar Wins Competition To Debut At Fashion Forward DubaiMILAN | ITALY – – Saudi-born designer, Yousef Akbar, was selected out of 170 competitors to participate in Fashion Forward Dubai’s (FFWD) 2020 edition in April, the UAE-based initiative announced. The competition, which he won, was by ‘Not Just a Label’ – a community that helps give emerging talent an easily accessible network and retailing … Read more
- SAUDI ARABIA | Jeddah To Host 7th National Quality ConferenceJEDDAH | SAUDI ARABIA – – The Saudi Standards, Metrology and Quality Organization (SASO) is organizing the seventh National Quality Conference from Feb.25 to Feb.27, the Saudi Press Agency reported. The event is being held under the patronage of Majid Al-Qasabi, minister of commerce and investment, at the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Jeddah. The ‘Quality in … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Congratulates President of Gambia on Independence DayRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – – Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense has sent a cable of congratulations to President Adama Barrow of the Republic of Gambia on the anniversary of his country’s Independence Day. In his cable, Crown Prince wished the President constant … Read more
- SAUDI ARABIA | Saudi Youth To Volunteer At Expo 2020 DubaiABU DHABI | UAE – – The Emirates Foundation and the Saudi Arabia Pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai, have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to launch an integrated programme that provides volunteering opportunities for Saudi youth based in the UAE. In line with the youth capacity building of synergy, the volunteers will receive mentoring and … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Congratulates Serbian President on National Day3EH RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, has sent a cable of congratulations to President Aleksandar Vucic of the Republic of Serbia on the anniversary of his country’s National Day. In his cable, HRH Crown Prince wished the President … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Minister Denies Any Plans For Crown Prince To Meet Israeli PMRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – – Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister on Thursday denied media reports of a possible meeting between Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, amid speculation about normalizing ties between Gulf Arab and Israel. ‘There is no meeting planned between Saudi Arabia and Israel’, Prince Faisal bin Farhan … Read more
- ARTS & CULTURE & ENTERTAINMENT | Netflix Will Stream Six Saudi Films Worldwide This FebruaryMILAN | ITALY – – As awards season draws to a close and most of the winning films have already debuted in the region, many of us are looking for the next cinematic masterpieces to add to our thinning watch list. However, Netflix is coming to rescue later this month with the addition of six … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Meets With DAVOS PresidentRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – – Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, met in Riyadh today with President Borge Brende of the World Economic Forum (DAVOS). During the meeting, they reviewed a number of issues related to global and regional economic developments, in addition … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | President of Romania Receives Minister of State for Foreign AffairsBUCHAREST | ROMANIA – – President Klaus Iohannis of the Republic of Romania received today Adel Bin Ahmed Al-Jubeir, Minister of the State for Foreign Affairs and Minister of the Cabinet, during his official visit to Romania. At the outset of the meeting, Al-Jubeir conveyed greetings of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Meets with Ban Ki-Moon, Former UN Secretary GeneralRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – – Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, met in Riyadh with UN former Secretary General and current Deputy Chair of The Elders organization Ban Ki-Moon. During the meeting, they reviewed a number of issues of common concern.