RIYADH/SAUDI ARABIA – A man stabbed three performers at a live show in Saudi Arabia’s capital and was arrested, state television reported on Monday, adding that the victims were in stable condition.
The incident occurred at King Abdullah Park in central Riyadh, one of several venues hosting a two-month long entertainment festival as part of government efforts to open up Saudi society and diversity its economy away from oil.
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has eased social restrictions and promoted entertainment previously banned in the conservative Muslim kingdom, risking a backlash from religious critics.
State news agency SPA described the assailant as a 33-year-old Yemeni resident.
The motivation for the attack was not immediately clear. Saudi Arabia intervened in Yemen’s civil war in 2015 against the Iran-aligned Houthis.
SPA said the victims, two men and a women, sustained “superficial wounds” and were stabilized after receiving medical care.
A vide tweeted by state television Al Ekhbariya appeared to show a man in street clothes rushing the stage toward a group of costumed performers and then falling to the ground as someone else chased him.
Another online vide showed the scene from another angle, as the assailant tumbled off the stage and the performers fled.
The “Riyadh Season” festival’s website said the offerings at the park include live shows and music, light installations, wall climbing and zip lining.
- BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Arabia Continues To Support Yemeni PeopleRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – – The Saudi Cabinet stressed on Tuesday that Riyadh will continue to provide humanitarian aid to the Yemeni people through the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center. Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz chaired the cabinet meeting that was held in Riyadh. Media Minister Turki … Read more
- ARTS & CULTURE & ENTERTAINMENT | Red Sea International Film Festival Reveals Details Of Its First EditionJEDDAH | SAUDI ARABIA – The Red Sea International Film Festival announced on Monday the program details, competition lineup and industry initiatives of its first edition at a press conference held in Al-Balad Historic Jeddah, Bait Qabil. Set to take place March 12-21 at the UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Festival will shed light on … Read more
- FASHION | Saudi Designer Yousef Akbar Wins Competition To Debut At Fashion Forward DubaiMILAN | ITALY – – Saudi-born designer, Yousef Akbar, was selected out of 170 competitors to participate in Fashion Forward Dubai’s (FFWD) 2020 edition in April, the UAE-based initiative announced. The competition, which he won, was by ‘Not Just a Label’ – a community that helps give emerging talent an easily accessible network and retailing … Read more
- SAUDI ARABIA | Jeddah To Host 7th National Quality ConferenceJEDDAH | SAUDI ARABIA – – The Saudi Standards, Metrology and Quality Organization (SASO) is organizing the seventh National Quality Conference from Feb.25 to Feb.27, the Saudi Press Agency reported. The event is being held under the patronage of Majid Al-Qasabi, minister of commerce and investment, at the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Jeddah. The ‘Quality in … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Congratulates President of Gambia on Independence DayRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – – Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense has sent a cable of congratulations to President Adama Barrow of the Republic of Gambia on the anniversary of his country’s Independence Day. In his cable, Crown Prince wished the President constant … Read more
- SAUDI ARABIA | Saudi Youth To Volunteer At Expo 2020 DubaiABU DHABI | UAE – – The Emirates Foundation and the Saudi Arabia Pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai, have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to launch an integrated programme that provides volunteering opportunities for Saudi youth based in the UAE. In line with the youth capacity building of synergy, the volunteers will receive mentoring and … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Congratulates Serbian President on National Day3EH RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, has sent a cable of congratulations to President Aleksandar Vucic of the Republic of Serbia on the anniversary of his country’s National Day. In his cable, HRH Crown Prince wished the President … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Minister Denies Any Plans For Crown Prince To Meet Israeli PMRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – – Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister on Thursday denied media reports of a possible meeting between Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, amid speculation about normalizing ties between Gulf Arab and Israel. ‘There is no meeting planned between Saudi Arabia and Israel’, Prince Faisal bin Farhan … Read more
- ARTS & CULTURE & ENTERTAINMENT | Netflix Will Stream Six Saudi Films Worldwide This FebruaryMILAN | ITALY – – As awards season draws to a close and most of the winning films have already debuted in the region, many of us are looking for the next cinematic masterpieces to add to our thinning watch list. However, Netflix is coming to rescue later this month with the addition of six … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Meets With DAVOS PresidentRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – – Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, met in Riyadh today with President Borge Brende of the World Economic Forum (DAVOS). During the meeting, they reviewed a number of issues related to global and regional economic developments, in addition … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | President of Romania Receives Minister of State for Foreign AffairsBUCHAREST | ROMANIA – – President Klaus Iohannis of the Republic of Romania received today Adel Bin Ahmed Al-Jubeir, Minister of the State for Foreign Affairs and Minister of the Cabinet, during his official visit to Romania. At the outset of the meeting, Al-Jubeir conveyed greetings of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Meets with Ban Ki-Moon, Former UN Secretary GeneralRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – – Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, met in Riyadh with UN former Secretary General and current Deputy Chair of The Elders organization Ban Ki-Moon. During the meeting, they reviewed a number of issues of common concern.