RIYADH/SAUDI ARABIA – The merit of Saudi Arabia’s new bankruptcy lay, part of efforts to help the kingdom attract investors, should become clearer in about a year after courts handle initials cases, a World Bank representative and senior government official told Reuters.
A lack of modern bankruptcy regulation had created difficulties for struggling companies seeking to restructure debt with creditors since the 2009 global financial crisis and the ore recent dip in oil prices.
Legislation introduced in 2018 is part of broader efforts to overhaul the economy of the world’s top oil exporter to entice foreign investment, create jobs for young Saudis and diversify into non-oil industries.
“They have started on insolvency”, said Simeon Djankov, World Bank senior research director and founder of the Doing Business report, which on Thursday ranked Saudi Arabia’s business climate the most improved over the previous year.
“The law has been passed, secondary legislation was already passed. Now we need to see whether the courts actually understand how to implement it”.
Djankow said only three cases had been settled and around a dozen others are currently in the courts. Several dozen more, expected to be resolved over the next year, should provide enough evidence to evaluate the law’s success, he added.
The two main open cases involve conglomerates Saad Group, owned by indebted billionaire Maan al-Sanea, and Ahmad Hamad Algosaibi and Brothers (AHAB), which defaulted on about $22 billion in combined debt in 2009.
Resolving insolvency was an area of improvement for Saudi Arabia, climbing 30 places to 62nd in the World Bank report which showed sharp improvement in other Gulf countries and a lag in Latin America.
Eiman al-Mutairi, who heads Arabia’s National Competitiveness Center, said she expects further advances next year as the bankruptcy law and other reforms come fully on line, including a building code law and planned amendments to licensing regimes.
“Are we there yet? No. Do we want to do more? Absolutely”, said Mutairi, who is one of the highest-ranking women in the Saudi government.
She attributed the jump in Saudi Arabia’s standing to authorities’ efforts to cater their reforms to the private sector’s concerns.
“Maybe we’ve worked with investors many years ago but sometime we just don’t listen to them”, she said. “Let’s face it: we did not listen to the investors’.
- Saudi King Salman Wishes Prosperity On Nation Ahead Of National DayRiyadh / Saudi Arabia – – Saudi Arabia’s King Salman bin Abdulaziz wished prosperity on the nation ahead of the Kingdom’s 91st National Day on Thursday. The comments were made during a virtual session of the Council of Ministers on Tuesday. King Salman also commemorated his predecessors including the country’s founder, King Abdulaziz. Saudi National … More Saudi King Salman Wishes Prosperity On Nation Ahead Of National Day
- Saudi Arabia Expresses Concern Over Iran’s Lack Of Transparency On Nuclear ProgramRiyadh / Saudi Arabia – Saudi Arabia is concerned over Iran’s lack of transparency in regards to its nuclear program, the Kingdom’s Minister of Energy Prince Abdulaziz Bin Salman said on Monday during an International Atomic Energy (IAEA) meeting with other member states. Saudi Arabia reiterates the importance of countries around the world abiding by … More Saudi Arabia Expresses Concern Over Iran’s Lack Of Transparency On Nuclear Program
- U.S. State Department Approves Potential $500 Million Saudi Maintenance Deal￼WASHINGTON – – The U.S. State Department has approved a potential agreement covering up to $500 million in military support services for Saudi Arabia, and has sent the agreement to Congress for review, the Pentagon said on Thursday. It was the first major defense agreement for Saudi Arabia sent to Congress since President Joe Biden … More U.S. State Department Approves Potential $500 Million Saudi Maintenance Deal￼
- Saudi – Led Coalition Thwarts Houthi Missile And Drones Attack – MediaDubai / UAE – – The Saudi – led coalition said late on Thursday that it thwarted and destroyed four Houthi explosives – laden drones and a ballistic rocket fired in the direction of the southern Saudi city of Jazan, Saudi state media reported. The Saudi – led military coalition intervened in Yemen in 2015, … More Saudi – Led Coalition Thwarts Houthi Missile And Drones Attack – Media
- Saudi Crown Prince Launches ‘Human Capability Development’ ProgramRiyadh / Saudi Arabia – – Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman launched a new program on Wednesday as part of Saudi Vision 2030 plans and a national strategy to ‘strengthen citizen’s capabilities locally and globally’. ‘The Human Capability Development Program represents a national strategy to enhance the competitiveness of national human capabilities locally … More Saudi Crown Prince Launches ‘Human Capability Development’ Program
- Saudi Arabia’s King Salman Sends Message To Algeria’s President Via Foreign MinisterRiyadh / Saudi Arabia – Saudi Arabia’s King Salman has sent a message to Algeria’s President Abdelmadjid Tebboune via the kingdom’s foreign minister regarding the ‘historical brotherly relations’ and joint cooperation between the two countries, according to state – run Saudi Press Agency. The message was conveyed by Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin … More Saudi Arabia’s King Salman Sends Message To Algeria’s President Via Foreign Minister
- Saudi Arabia Extends Iqama, Visit, Exist And Re – Entry Visas For Free Till Nov. 30Riyadh / Saudi Arabia – – Saudi General Directorate Of Passports has started to automatically extend the validity of residence permits (Iqama) for expatriates outside the Kingdom as well as vist visas and exit and re – entry visas without fees or charge until Nov.30. The decision implements the directives of King Salman. The extension, … More Saudi Arabia Extends Iqama, Visit, Exist And Re – Entry Visas For Free Till Nov. 30
- Saudi King Refer Public Security Director To Investigator With Corruption Charges – SpaParis / France – – Saudi Arabia’s King Salman issued a royal decree to terminate the public security director Khalid Al – Harbi and refer him to investigation with corruption charges, the state news agency (SPA) reported on Tuesday. Charges include embezzlement of public money, forgery, bribery and abuse of influence.
- Saudi Arabia’s PIF Hires Banks To Advice On ESG – IFRParis / France – – Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund, the Public Investment Fund (PIF), has hired five international banks as members of an environmental, governance and social (ESG) panel for its medium – term capital – raising strategy, IFR News reported on Monday. Sources told Reuters in July that PIF sent banks a request … More Saudi Arabia’s PIF Hires Banks To Advice On ESG – IFR
- Saudi, UAE Leaders Hold Call Amid Rising Regional RivalryAbu Dhabi / UAE — The crown princes of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates discussed bilateral relations and other issues in a phone call, state media of the two countries said on Monday. Despite being close allies, economic competition between the Gulf neighbours has been laying bare differences as Riyadh tries to challenge … More Saudi, UAE Leaders Hold Call Amid Rising Regional Rivalry
- Qatari Emir Receives Saudi Interior MinisterRiyadh / Saudi Arabia – – Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al – Thani, Emir of Qatar, received on Monday Prince Abdulaziz Bin Saud Bin Saud Bin Nayef, Saudi Arabia’s interior minister, at the Emiri Diwan in Doha, state news agency SPA reported. During the reception, they reviewed bilateral relations and the existing security cooperation between … More Qatari Emir Receives Saudi Interior Minister
- Saudis Intercept Houthi Missiles And Drones Aimed At Oil RegionDubai / UAE – – Saudi Arabia intercept a ballistic missile and armed drones fired at its oil – rich Eastern Region by Yemen’s Houthi group on Saturday, and two children were injured by the resulting shrapnel, the ministry of defence said. The Houthi movement, which has been at war against a Saudi – led … More Saudis Intercept Houthi Missiles And Drones Aimed At Oil Region