ENTERTAINMENT | Placido Domingo Resigns From LA Opera Leadership

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA – Opera singer Placido Dominco on Wednesday resigned as general director of Los Angels Opera, saying that accusations of sexual misconduct had compromised his ability to continue in the role.

“Recent accusations that have been made against me in the press have created an atmosphere in which my ability to serve this Company that I so love has been compromised, Domingo said in a statement to the opera house.

“While I will continue to work to clear my name, I have decided that it is in the best interests of LA Opera for me to resign as its General Director and withdraw from my future scheduled performances at this time”, he added.

More than three dozen singers, dancers, musicians, voice teachers and backstage staff have said in recent weeks that they has witnessed or experienced inappropriate behavior by Domingo toward women at different opera houses over the last three decades.

Domingo, 78, has disputed the accusations but Los Angeles Opera in August said it would an independent investigations. It has yet to make public any findings of the probe. He has been general director at LA Opera since 2003.

LA Opera on Wednesday described Domingo as “am outstandingly talented artist (and) also the driving force behind the creation, development and growth of LA Opera”.

Last month the Spanish singer and conductor pulled out at the last minute performance in “Macbeth” at the Metropolitan Opera in New York and said he would never perform there again.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s