Los Angeles, USA – The Los Angeles Opera has decline to release any details of its promised investigation into allegations of sexual harassment against opera legend Placido Domingo, the company’s long time general director, including whether it has already started.
The union that represents opera singers said Friday that it plans a meeting in Los Angeles next week to address its members’ concerns ahead of the LA company’s season open September 14.
Len Egert, the executive director of the American Guild of Musical Artists, told The Associated Press that the union has been receiving its own reports from members since an AP story earlier this week detailing accusation against the 78-year-old singing star.
Hours after the AP story was released Tuesday detailing the allegations, the LA Opera has announced it would engage outside counsel to investigate the “concerning allegations”.
Three of the nine women who accused the singer of harassment and abuse of power described encounters they said took place while working with Domingo at the LA organization. The nine women and dozens of others interviewed said Domindo’s behavior was an open secret in the industry and that he pursued younger women with impunity.
On Friday, LA Opera would not disclose who would be conducting the investigation, how it would be carried out, when it would start or its expected duration.
A spokeswoman for the company said on Friday LA Opera will share details when they have information and that there was currently nothing to add beyond the statement released Tuesday.
Domingo is widely credited with raising the profile of LA Opera, where he served an artistic consultant from 1984 to 2000, artistic director from 2000 to 2003 and, finally, general director from 2003 until now. His current contract runs through the 2021-22 season.
In its initial statement, LA Opera said Domingo “has been a dynamic creative force in the life of LA Opera” but that it is committed to ensuring that its employees and artists “be treated respectfully and feel safe and secure”.
Domingo did not respond to detailed questions from the AP about specific incidents. But he issued a statement calling the allegations “deeply troubling, and as presented, inaccurate”, adding “I believed that all of my interactions and relationship were always welcomed and consensual”.
The Philadelphia Orchestra and San Francisco Opera announced they would cancel upcoming performances featuring the star. The Metropolitan Opera said it would await the results of LA Opera’s investigation “before making final decisions about Mr.Domingo’s future at the Met”, where he is scheduled to appear next month.
The American Gilt of Musical Artist issued a statement calling for wider investigations across the opera world.
The American Guilt of Musical Artists issued a statement calling for wider investigations across the opera world.
“AGMA become aware of serious allegations of sexual harassment made by multiple women against Placido Domingo . We have contacted our emplyers to demand investigations into these allegations”, said the statement issued earlier this week.
Since then, “Through our confidential reporting system we have been receiving reports from members”, Egert said Friday. “We are providing timely, confidential advice and guidance to these artist”. Hi did not elaborate.
Egert said that AGMA will be “closely monitoring the internal LA Opera Investigation” and has scheduled a membership meeting in Los Angeles early next week, prior to the start of rehearsals, to address any member concerns on questions. The LA Opera 2019-2020 season starts Sept 14 with “La Boheme”.
Asked if the union was aware of Domingo’s alleged behavior previously, he said, “AGMA did not receive complaints from its members prior to the recent news reports”.