LOS Angeles, SUA – The Mercedes – Benz G – Class is a legendary off –roader. You can spot the vehicle’s iconic silhouette from a mile away, with a signature box military – like body style and circular LED daytime running lights. In 2018, Mercedes fully redesigned and updated the G-Class, bringing its interior up to par with the likes of the S-Class. While the G-Class is one of the most capable off-road vehicles in the world, many still use it to travel long distances on the highway, or, say, drive it down Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.
Sure, you can get the AMG versions, which can do 0-60 in just 4.4 seconds, and if you actually plan on driving it across Germany on the Autobahn, that is the clear choice. However, it’s never fun getting 15 MPG in the city, and most U.S. driver use the G-Class primarily as a daily driver and commuter. So, if Mercedes were to offer an additional G-Class here in the U.S., the 6 – cylinder diesel engine option would be golden.
Here are three reasons why they should:
- The straight-six turbo – diesel delivers 282 hp at 3,400 -4.600 rmp, plus an impressive 442 lb – ft of torque at just 1.200 – 3.200 rmp. All of that power is linked to the new nine-speed automatic transmission, which is very smooth. Most importantly it can get an incredible 28+mpg on the highway!
- Ordinarily, diesel engine aren’t known for being incredibly fast, but this turbo six moves the 5,000+ pound G-Class from 0-60 in just 7.4 seconds which isn’t all that far off from the 5.4 seconds in the standard G550.
- All of that torque makes acceleration feel effortless, even smoother than the petrol variants. Unless you plan on doing 140 MPH down the highway all-day, which you can’t even do in the USA (legally, at least), the disel G-Class makes an excellent case for the perfect urban jungle explorer.
- INNOVATE | They Left Facebook To Make An App That Will Spice Up Your Instagram StoriesThe lead developers behind social media tools like Instagram Stories and Boomerang left their jobs to build new features for the very tools they created. A group of former Instagram and Facebook employees have rolled out a new app called Chroma Stories that capitalizes on social media trends at a pace far faster than what’s … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Arabia Grants First Permanent Residencies To ForeignersRIYADH/SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia has granted “premium” residency to 73 foreigners as part of its efforts to attract foreign investment into the country. The Kingdom said it received thousands of applications after offering permanent residency for a one-time fee of 800,000 riyals (U.S. $213,301), and an annual renewable “premium” residency for 100,000 riyals per … Read more
- BUSINESS | Luxury Hotel Group Enters Private Jet WarsFor many years, the luxury travel sector has been undergoing a bit of an arms race. Four Seasons announced its Private Jet experience in 2015. There’s a new $50,000-per-night-private penthouse suite at the Park Hyatt New York and a fleet of custom-built yachts coming from Ritz Carlton – the first voyage is in 2020. It … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Aramco Announces Intention To Offer IPOs On Domestic Stock MarketRIYADH/SAUDI ARABIA, November 3, 2019 – – Saudi Aramco, the world’s largest integrated oil and gas company, wholly owned by the Government of the Kingdom of Saudi of Arabia, on Sunday announced its intention to proceed with an initial public offering (IPO) on Riyadh’s Tadwul Stock Exchange. The Government intends to sell a portion of … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Approves Announcement Of Aramco IPO On Sunday – SourcesRIYADH/SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman on Friday agreed that the initial public offering of state oil giant Aramco will be announced on Sunday, five sources familiar with the matter told Reuters. The world’s top oil company will announce its intention to float (ITF) on November 3, the sources added. “The … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | HRH Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Prince Receives U.S. Treasury Secretary, Trump Senior AdviserRIYADH/SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, held talks in Riyadh on Tuesday with U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Munchin, U.S. Energy Secretary Rick Perry and senior adviser to U.S. President Donald Trump, Jared Kushner. The officials are in the Kingdom to attend the Future Investment Initiative … Read more