LOS Angeles, SUA – The Mercedes – Benz G – Class is a legendary off –roader. You can spot the vehicle’s iconic silhouette from a mile away, with a signature box military – like body style and circular LED daytime running lights. In 2018, Mercedes fully redesigned and updated the G-Class, bringing its interior up to par with the likes of the S-Class. While the G-Class is one of the most capable off-road vehicles in the world, many still use it to travel long distances on the highway, or, say, drive it down Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.
Sure, you can get the AMG versions, which can do 0-60 in just 4.4 seconds, and if you actually plan on driving it across Germany on the Autobahn, that is the clear choice. However, it’s never fun getting 15 MPG in the city, and most U.S. driver use the G-Class primarily as a daily driver and commuter. So, if Mercedes were to offer an additional G-Class here in the U.S., the 6 – cylinder diesel engine option would be golden.
Here are three reasons why they should:
- The straight-six turbo – diesel delivers 282 hp at 3,400 -4.600 rmp, plus an impressive 442 lb – ft of torque at just 1.200 – 3.200 rmp. All of that power is linked to the new nine-speed automatic transmission, which is very smooth. Most importantly it can get an incredible 28+mpg on the highway!
- Ordinarily, diesel engine aren’t known for being incredibly fast, but this turbo six moves the 5,000+ pound G-Class from 0-60 in just 7.4 seconds which isn’t all that far off from the 5.4 seconds in the standard G550.
- All of that torque makes acceleration feel effortless, even smoother than the petrol variants. Unless you plan on doing 140 MPH down the highway all-day, which you can’t even do in the USA (legally, at least), the disel G-Class makes an excellent case for the perfect urban jungle explorer.
- BUSINESS | OPEC+ May Meet This Week If Laggards Agree To Comply: SourcesLONDON – OPEC+oil producers could still hold a virtual ministerial meeting this week if Iraq and others that have not fully complied with current oil supply cuts agree to boost their adherence, three OPEC+ sources told Reuters on Thursday. The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and its allies led by Russia, a group known … Continue reading BUSINESS | OPEC+ May Meet This Week If Laggards Agree To Comply: Sources
- BUSINESS NEWS | Zoom Doubles Full-Year Revenue Forecast On Remote – Work BoostNEW YORK | Zoom Video Communication Inc. nearly doubled its expectations for annual sales on Tuesday, riding on a surge in usage of its video conferencing platform due to coronavirus – driven lockdown measures globally. However, the latest quarterly reported shows the issue had little impact on its numbers. The company said it now had … Continue reading BUSINESS NEWS | Zoom Doubles Full-Year Revenue Forecast On Remote – Work Boost
- BUSINESS | Twitter Names Ex-Google CFO Patrick Pichette ChairmanNEW YORK | Twitter Inc. said on Tuesday that it appointed Patrick Pichette, former chief financial officer at Google, as chairman, replacing Omid Kordestani. Pichette has been the lead independent director on Twitter’s board since the end of 2018, and his appointment as chairman coincide with the microblogging site’s escalating tensions with President Donald Trump. … Continue reading BUSINESS | Twitter Names Ex-Google CFO Patrick Pichette Chairman
- BUSINESS | Malls, Private Businesses To Reopen In Dubai On WednesdayDUBAI – Dubai will allow the full reopening of malls and private business starting on Wednesday, its media office said, in the latest easing of coronavirus restrictions, the emirate’s media office announced. ‘Shopping malls and private sector businesses in the emirate will fully operate at 100 percent from Wednesday’, the Dubai Media Office tweeted on … Continue reading BUSINESS | Malls, Private Businesses To Reopen In Dubai On Wednesday
- BUSINESS NEWS | LVMH – Tiffany Deal Seen Au Uncertain: WWDPARIS – French luxury goods group LVMH’s board called a meeting in Paris to discuss its $16.2 – billion offer for Tiffany & Co amid a deteriorating situation in the U.S. market, fashion trade publication WWD reported on Tuesday, citing sources. Tiffany did not immediately respond to a request for comment and LVMH declined comment.
- BUSINESS | Saudi FX Reserve Down Sharply In April To Back Wealth Fund InvestmentsRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi foreign reserves dropped sharply in April for a second consecutive month as the kingdom used tens of billions of dollars to back investments of its sovereign fund abroad while its economy is hit hard by the new coronavirus. Saudi Arabia, the world’s largest oil exporter, is suffering from historic … Continue reading BUSINESS | Saudi FX Reserve Down Sharply In April To Back Wealth Fund Investments