Riyadh, Saudi Arabia – Facebook will unveil a new policy on Wednesday to restrict sales and limit content related to alcohol and tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, a company spokeswoman tells CNN broadcasting.
The new policy will prohibit all private sales, trades, transfers and gifting of alcohol and tobacco products on Facebook and Instagram, the spokeswoman said. Any brands that post content related to the sale or transfer of these products will have to restrict content to adults 18 or older.
The new policy will go into effect Wednesday and will also apply to any Facebook groups created to sell alcohol or tobacco products. The spokeswoman said. The social network is reaching out to group administrators to alert them of the changes.
The company is enforcing the new rules, the spokeswoman said, and may remove any groups that do not make necessary changes. While the company’s policies already prohibit the sale of tobacco and alcohol in Facebook Maketplace, the platform is extending its ban to “organic content” – regular posts from private users.
The company will “use a combination of technology, human review and reports from our community to find and remove any content that violates these policies”, the spokeswoman said.
Facebood and Instagram users, including those under 18, are still free to post other content related to tobacco and vape products.
Under the new policy, so-called influencers who are paid to promote nicotine-containing products will also be allowed to post content related to tobacco and vape products. Those posts will not have to be aged restricted, the spokeswoman said.
She emphasized, however, that the company is considering possible changes to its influencer policy and is working with the industry and regulatory bodies on potential revisions.
Last year, a CNN investigation detailed how JUUL, the largest vape manufacturer in the United Stated, paid popular Instagram users to promote its device. The company has come under fire in recent months for its alleged role in what experts call an “epidemic” of teen vaping. In 2018, the FDA announced that vaping increased nearly 80% among high scholars from the previous year.
JUUL executive will testify this Thursday at a congressional hearing examining “JUUL’s” role in the Youth Nicotine Epidemic”, organized by the House Oversight Subcommittee on Economic and Consumer Policy. On Wednesday, public expert will testify, laying out a case for how JULL’s high nicotine content and early marketing campaigns contributed to unprecedented levels of teen vaping.
The Facebook said the new policy had been in the works and is not a response to this week’s congressional hearings.
- BUSINESS & FASHION | Adidas And Prada: Or Should That Be Pradidas Or Adada?It’s the first time two of the most famous names in retailing have combined in what they say is a long-term partnership. But what to call the venture? Pradidas and Adada are among the favorites in the Twittersphere. Prada’s marketing department could probably do better, though, as they’ve already demonstrated peerless descriptive powers in the … Read more
- BUSINESS | McLaren Looks To Asia And Hybrid Cars To Stay On TrackMILAN | ITALY – British exotic sports car maker McLaren Automotive will bank on expanded sales in Asia and a new generation of hybrid cars as it steers toward a potential public offering, the company’s chief executive said on Tuesday. ‘We need to put more cars into Asia”, McLaren CEO Mike Flewitt said in a … Read more
- BUSINESS | Italy’s Cavalli Rescued By Dubai’s Damac ChairmanItaly’s Cavalli Rescued By Dubai’s Damac Chairman MILAN | ITALY – Italian fashion house Roberto Cavalli was bought on Thursday by Hussain Sajwani, the chairman of Dubai’s Damac Properties, the companies said, ending a long sale process. The Florence-based group, founded by designer Robert Cavalli in the early 1970s and famed for its animal prints, … Read more
- TRAVEL | Emirates Introduces Fourth Daily To DhakaDUBAI | UAE – Emirates is adding a fourth daily service to Dhaka from 1st June, 2020, to cater to Bangladesh’s growing economy and the country’s large diaspora who work and live in the Middle East, Europe and the U.S. The new service will be operated by a Boeing 777-300ER in a two-class configuration, featuring … Read more
- BUSINESS | Dubai Received 12 Million Visitors In The First 9 Month Of 2019DUBAI | UAE – Dubai witnessed a surge in arrivals which accelerated the city’s tourism momentum with 12.08 million international overnight visitors in the first nine months of 2019, according to the latest visitation figures released by Dubai’s Deparment of Tourism and Commerce Marketing. In September alone, Dubai welcomed over 1.3 million visitors, and above … Read more
- SOCIAL MEDIA | Many Consumers Across UAE, Saudi Unfollow Social Media InfluencersThe survey revealed that 79 percent of consumers unfollowed social media influencers due to contrasting values and increased promotional content. Social media influencers are not “influencing” as many people in the region as they used to, according to a new survey by Dubai-based BPC group and research agency YouGov. The fourth edition of the Social … Read more