Riyadh, Saudi Arabia – Portuguese soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo will face no charges in Las Vegas connection with a 10-year-old sexual assault allegation because the case cannot be proven beyond a reasonable-doubt, prosecutors said on Monday.
Ronaldo, who is widely regarded as one of the greatest soccer players of all time and plays for the Italian club Juventus, has maintained he is innocent of rape.
The allegation made headlines last year after Las Vegas police said they were investigating it.
The case stems from a June 13, 2009, call from a woman to Las Vegas police. She reported that she had been sexually assaulted and police took her to the hospital for an examination, the Clark County District Attorney’s Office said in a statement on Monday.
But she declined to identify the person who she said assaulted her.
The woman and Ronaldo reached a civil settlement in 2010 and law enforcement did not hear again from her again until Aud. 28, 2018, when she asked police to reopen the investigation. She said Ronaldo was the person who sexually assaulted her, prosecutors said.
“Based upon a review of the information presented at this time, the allegation of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt” the District Attorney’s Office said in a statement.
Ronaldo’s attorney, Peter Christiansesn, and a representative for his sports agents could not immediately be reached for comment.
- SPORTS | Nadal Calls On Spain’s Athletes To Raise 11 Million Euros To Fight CoronavirusRafael Nadal has issued a rallying cry and called on Spanish athletes to help raise 11 million euros (9.96 million pounds) to help fight the coronavirus pandemic. Spain is one of the most badly affected countries in the world with over 56,000 cases and the parliament voted to extend the coronavirus lockdown to at least … Continue reading SPORT | Soccer Star Cristiano Ronaldo Will Not Face Rape Charges In Las Vegas Read more
- SPORTS | Formula One Expects Shortened Season Of 15-18 RacesLONDON – Formula One expects to run a shortened season of 15-18 grands prix once racing can resume after the coronavirus pandemic, hopefully during the European summer, chairman and chief executive Chase Carey said on Monday. The original 2020 calendar had a record 22 races but the season has yet to start with the first … Continue reading SPORT | Soccer Star Cristiano Ronaldo Will Not Face Rape Charges In Las Vegas Read more
- SPORTS | Monaco Grand Prix Canceled As Formula One Postpones Start Of SeasonBUCHAREST | ROMANIA – The Monaco Grand Prix has become the latest Formula One race to be canceled as the sport continues to be affected by the novel coronavirus outbreak. The lucrative event was scheduled for May 24 and is one of the sports’ showcase events with drivers racing through the principality’s historic streets. Formula … Continue reading SPORT | Soccer Star Cristiano Ronaldo Will Not Face Rape Charges In Las Vegas Read more
- SPORTS | Esports-F1 To Hold Virtual Races In Place Of Postponed Grands PrixRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Formula One will run a series of virtual races, with some current drivers taking part, to replace a string of grand prix postponed by the coronavirus outbreak, the sport announced on Friday. The first, run on the official F1 2019 PC video game, will be held on Sunday, when the … Continue reading SPORT | Soccer Star Cristiano Ronaldo Will Not Face Rape Charges In Las Vegas Read more
- SPORTS | French Open Delayed Amid Coronavirus Outbreak: OrganizersPARIS – The French Open tennis tournament has been postponed until Sept 20 – Oct 4 amid the coronavirus outbreak, the organizers and the Grand Slam event said on Tuesday. The first major tournament to be hit by the spread of the coronavirus was initially scheduled to be played May 24-June7. ‘In order to guarantee … Continue reading SPORT | Soccer Star Cristiano Ronaldo Will Not Face Rape Charges In Las Vegas Read more
- SPORTS | Halep Says Donating Equipment To Help Coronavirus FightBUCHAREST – Wimbledon champion and world number two Simona Halp said she was donating money for medical equipment in Romania as the country deals with the coronavirus pandemic. In a message posted on her Facebook page, the 28-year-old said she hoped to help hospital in Bucharest and Constanta and encouraged people to follow self-isolation guidelines. … Continue reading SPORT | Soccer Star Cristiano Ronaldo Will Not Face Rape Charges In Las Vegas Read more