Riyadh, Saudi Arabia – Portuguese soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo will face no charges in Las Vegas connection with a 10-year-old sexual assault allegation because the case cannot be proven beyond a reasonable-doubt, prosecutors said on Monday.
Ronaldo, who is widely regarded as one of the greatest soccer players of all time and plays for the Italian club Juventus, has maintained he is innocent of rape.
The allegation made headlines last year after Las Vegas police said they were investigating it.
The case stems from a June 13, 2009, call from a woman to Las Vegas police. She reported that she had been sexually assaulted and police took her to the hospital for an examination, the Clark County District Attorney’s Office said in a statement on Monday.
But she declined to identify the person who she said assaulted her.
The woman and Ronaldo reached a civil settlement in 2010 and law enforcement did not hear again from her again until Aud. 28, 2018, when she asked police to reopen the investigation. She said Ronaldo was the person who sexually assaulted her, prosecutors said.
“Based upon a review of the information presented at this time, the allegation of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt” the District Attorney’s Office said in a statement.
Ronaldo’s attorney, Peter Christiansesn, and a representative for his sports agents could not immediately be reached for comment.
- Ronaldo Joins Saudi Arabian Club Al Nassr Until 2025PARIS, France – Portugal capital Cristiano Ronaldo has joined Saudi Arabian club Al Nassr on a 2-1/2 year contract, the club announced on Friday, after leaving Manchester United to become a free agent. Ronaldo departed Old Trafford last month following an explosive television interview in which the 37-year-old forward said he felt betrayed by the […]
- Pele, Who Died At 82, Was A Sports Star And Cultural IconPARIS, France – The Brazilian soccer star said Andy Warhol told him that. It was a twist on something else the American artist is widely credited with saying, that ”in the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes”. Warhol made the soccer star’s portrait in 1977, and Pele took great pride in turning his […]
- Messi To Return To PSG In Early January, Says GaltierPARIS, France – Lionel Messi will return to Paris St Germain at the beginning of January, the Ligue 1 club’s manager Christophe Galtier said on Tuesday. The Argentine forward, seven – times Ballon D’Or winner, scored two goals to lead his country to victory over France on penalties in the World Cup final nine days […]
- Tunisia’s Jabeur Downs Maria To Become First Arab In Major FinalLONDON – Tunisia’s Ons Jabeur lifted the spirits of an entire continent as she became the first Arab and first African woman to reach the Wimbledon final with a rousing 6-2 3-6 6-1 victory over her barbecue buddy Tatjana Maria on Thursday. Before she stepped on court, American great Billie Jean King said Jabeur was […]
- Soccer Serie A Seeks Abu Dhabi Deals On TV Rights, Italian Super Cup – SourcesMILAN – Italy’s top soccer league Serie A is in talks over a broadcast deal with state – backed Abu Dhabi Media and on a separate agreement to host its Super Cup in the emirate, three sources with knowledge of the matter said. Home to AC Milan, Juventus and other top clubs, Serie A is […]
- Guardiola Becomes England’s Most Successful Foreign ManagerPARIS, France – Spaniard Pep Guardiola became the most successful foreign manager in English football, in terms of league titles won, when he clinched his fourth Premier League crown on Sunday. With his latest success, the Manchester City manager moved above Frenchman Arsene Wenger and Portuguese Jose Mourinho who both have three Premier League titles […]
Leave a Reply