Riyadh, Saudi Arabia – Portuguese soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo will face no charges in Las Vegas connection with a 10-year-old sexual assault allegation because the case cannot be proven beyond a reasonable-doubt, prosecutors said on Monday.
Ronaldo, who is widely regarded as one of the greatest soccer players of all time and plays for the Italian club Juventus, has maintained he is innocent of rape.
The allegation made headlines last year after Las Vegas police said they were investigating it.
The case stems from a June 13, 2009, call from a woman to Las Vegas police. She reported that she had been sexually assaulted and police took her to the hospital for an examination, the Clark County District Attorney’s Office said in a statement on Monday.
But she declined to identify the person who she said assaulted her.
The woman and Ronaldo reached a civil settlement in 2010 and law enforcement did not hear again from her again until Aud. 28, 2018, when she asked police to reopen the investigation. She said Ronaldo was the person who sexually assaulted her, prosecutors said.
“Based upon a review of the information presented at this time, the allegation of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt” the District Attorney’s Office said in a statement.
Ronaldo’s attorney, Peter Christiansesn, and a representative for his sports agents could not immediately be reached for comment.
- NEWS ALERT | Djokovic Tests Positive For COVID-19: StatementBELGRADE | SERBIA – Novak Djokovic, the men’s world number one tennis player, has tested positive for COVID-19, the Serbian said in a statement on Tuesday. Croatia’s Borna Coric, Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria and Viktor Troicki have previously tested positive after playing in Djokovic’s Adria Tour exhibition tournament in the Balkan region. ‘The moment we … Continue reading NEWS ALERT | Djokovic Tests Positive For COVID-19: Statement
- SPORTS | Diriyah To Host Two Rounds Of Formula E Racing Next FebruaryRIYAHD | SAUDI ARABIA – The Ministry of Sports announced that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will host on February 26 and 27, 2021, two rounds of season 7 of Formula E racing, for the third year in a row in Diriyah, in coordination with the Saudi Automobile & Motorcycle Federation. The International Automobile Federation … Continue reading SPORTS | Diriyah To Host Two Rounds Of Formula E Racing Next February
- SPORTS | F1 Cancels Azerbaijan, Singapore And Japan RacesLONDON – Formula One has already cancelled four other races, including the showcase Monaco Grand Prix in May, and published a revised and shortened provisional schedule due to start in Austria on July 5. ‘As a result of the ongoing challenges presented by COVID-19, we and our promoters in Azerbaijan, Singapore and Japan have taken … Continue reading SPORTS | F1 Cancels Azerbaijan, Singapore And Japan Races
- SPORTS | Saudi Arabia Will Resume Sports Activities, Without Fans starting from June 21RIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia will resume its sports activities without fans starting from June 21, taking all precautions and preventive measures, state media said on Friday. Resuming activities includes returning to training. Playing games will start after Aug.4, with decisions left to every sport’s union.
- SPORT | QATAR 2020 World Cup Stadium Workers Went Months Without Pay: AmnestyA Qatari company helping build a 2022 World Cup stadium has been banned from the event’s projects after its labourers went unpaid for months, organisers said on Thursday, in a case Amnesty International said showed inadequate worker welfare standards. Around 100 employees of a Qatari subcontractor, Qatar Meta Coats (QMC), working on the Al Bayt … Continue reading SPORT | QATAR 2020 World Cup Stadium Workers Went Months Without Pay: Amnesty
- SPORTS NEWS | F1 Set For A Series Of Firsts With Revised Race CalendarLONDON – Formula One is set for a series of firsts after publishing a revised eight – race schedule on Tuesday that will see Austria’s Red Bull Ring and Britian’s Silverstone circuit each host two grands prix without spectators in July and August respectively. The season, which originally envisaged a record 22 races, has been … Continue reading SPORTS NEWS | F1 Set For A Series Of Firsts With Revised Race Calendar