Riyadh, Saudi Arabia – Jaquar Land Rover is making a multi-million pound investment to build electric vehicles in Britain, in a major boost for the UK government and a sector hit by the slump in diesel sales and Brexit uncertainty.
Britain’s biggest car company, which built 30 percent of the UK’s 1.5 million cars last year, will make a range of electrified vehicles at its Castle Bromwhich plant in central England, beginning with its luxury sedan, the XJ.
“The future of mobility is electric and, as a visionary British company, we are committed to making our next generation of zero-emission vehicles in the UK”, Chief Executive Ralf Speth said on Friday.
The announcement give a boost to Britain’s automotive sector hit this year by Honda and Ford’s plans to close factories.
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has highlighted the dangers of a no-deal Brexit and the need to maintain frictionless trade with the European Union, echoing warnings from the industry that just-in-time production could be hit by customs delays and additional bureaucracy.
But it has signed a deal with workers at the Castle Bromwich factory to go from a five-day to a four-day working week with the same if hours which should allow the plant to operate more efficiently.
Friday’s announcement comes after a turbulent few months for Jaguar which announced around 4.500 job cuts earlier in January and posted a 3.66 billion pound ($ 4.5 billion) lost in 2018/2019.
- BUSINESS NEWS | Russia Does Not Plan Saudi Talks Ahead Of OPEC+ Monitoring Meeting: KremlinBUCHAREST | ROMANIA – The Kremlin said on Thursday Russia currently had no plans to hold talks with Saudi Arabia ahead of joint OPEC+ ministerial monitoring committee due to be held next week.
- HEALTH | Nonprofits Urge Johnson & Johnson To Halt Sales Of Baby Powder GloballyMILAN | ITALY – More than 170 nonprofit groups on Wednesday called for Johnson & Johnson to stop selling its talc-based Johnson’s Baby Powder world-wide, citing concerns that is contains cancer-causing asbestos, according to a statement from advocacy group Black Women for Wellness. The groups, which include educational institutions such as Emory University and activist … Continue reading HEALTH | Nonprofits Urge Johnson & Johnson To Halt Sales Of Baby Powder Globally
- SOCIAL MEDIA | Facebook Takes Down Accounts And Pages Of Trump Ally Roger StoneMILAN – Facebook Inc on Wednesday removed 50 personal and professional pages connected to U.S. President Donald Trump’s longtime adviser Roger Stone, who is due to report to prison next week. The social media platform said Stone and his associates, including a prominent supporter of the right-wing Proud Boys group in Stone’s home state Florida, … Continue reading SOCIAL MEDIA | Facebook Takes Down Accounts And Pages Of Trump Ally Roger Stone
- SOCIAL MEDIA | Facebook Suspends Disinformation Network Tied To Staff Of Brazil’s BolsonaroBUCHAREST | ROMANIA – Facebook Inc on Wednesday suspended a network of social media accounts it said were used to spread divisive political messages online by employees of Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro and two of his sons. The company said that despite efforts to disguise who was behind the activity, it found links to staff … Continue reading SOCIAL MEDIA | Facebook Suspends Disinformation Network Tied To Staff Of Brazil’s Bolsonaro
- BUSINESS NEWS | Saudi Arabia Completes First Phase Of State Mills PrivatisationRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia said on Wednesday it had complete the first batch of its flour milling sector privatization, according to a statement by the state grain buyer and privatization centre. The long-awaited flour mills sale was one of the first privatisations the kingdom planned as part of a wide-reaching overhaul of … Continue reading BUSINESS NEWS | Saudi Arabia Completes First Phase Of State Mills Privatisation
- BUSINESS NEWS | Saudi Arabia Nominates Candidate To Bead WTO: DocumentGENEVA – Saudi Arabia nominated a former economy and planning minister to head the World Trade Organization on Wednesday, a WTO document showed, amid a last –minute flurry of submission to succeed the incumbent Roberto Azevedo who is stepping down in August. ‘The following communication, nominating Mr. Mohammad Mazid Al-Tuwaijri for the position of Director-General, … Continue reading BUSINESS NEWS | Saudi Arabia Nominates Candidate To Bead WTO: Document