Paris, France – Amid mysterious clouds of Persian blue mist, Elie Sab fashioned up a standout couture collection Wednesday using the symbolism of China.
The Lebanese designer reimagined traditional Chinese drawing through embroiders with sequins, palettes and sparkle that depicted fauna and flora; elements, the house said, that represent powerful protective spirits in Eastern legend.
“Nature, through mystical creatures and divine characters, sparked the curiosity of the designer, inspiring him to translate them into his very own art’’ it added.
Long diaphanous tulle, velvet and chiffon trains brought a magical romance to Saab’s bread-and-butter silhouette of sexy, cinched waist gowns. Models with decorated tiaras walked to Asian traditional music.
There was some sophisticated and thoughtful fashion designs amid to show production – for instance, the famed Chinese traditional dress, the Cheongsam, was reimagined in a light tuxedo – style with a provocative open bust.
Sustainability in Fashion
The fashion industry can be a polluting one, as it puts myriad editors on airplane across the world for fashion seasons that promote clothes to be discarded as soon as they get passé.
But there are some moments of ecological reflection.
One initiative at Elie Saab had front row editors impressed.
The season, there were no program notes on the seats, ones which comprises wads of thick, color-printed photos and detailed texts, and end up in the trash as soon as the critics have finished their reviews.
In their place Wednesday was a giant – and mysterious – barcode on each invitation.
It provoked bemusement from invitees. Each quest was instructed by Saab’s staff to hover their phone camera over the barcode, and then an option automatically appeared to load up the notes electronically to a web browser, saving plenty of trees in the process.
- FASHION | Billy Porter’s 2020 Emmys Ensemble Was Custom – Made By This Saudi LabelBilly Porter is known for his unapologetic style and statement red carpet looks. Despite this year’s Emmy Awards being held digitally, porter didn’t hold back from bringing his show-stopping outfits to the event, wearing a custom-made ensemble by Saudi label, Ashi Studio. The actor, who was nominated for the award for outstanding lead actor in … Continue reading FASHION | Billy Porter’s 2020 Emmys Ensemble Was Custom – Made By This Saudi Label
- FASHION | ‘We Must Go On’, Says Lebanese Designer Elie Saab After BlastIt felt like an eternity rather than just a few minutes as haute couture fashion designer Elie Saab scrambled to make sure his 200 staff members, including his son, were safe when this month’s massive explosion shook Beirut. Like many Lebanese on Aug.4 when chemicals at the port detoned, the 56-year-old felt the blast was … Continue reading FASHION | ‘We Must Go On’, Says Lebanese Designer Elie Saab After Blast
- FASHION | Lebanese Designers Count The Damage of Massive Blast In BeirutDesigners including Elie Saab and Rbih Kayrouz reported no vitcims from the explosion, which destroyed their headquarters. Lebanese designers were left picking up this pieces on Wednesday after a massive warehouse explosion in the port of Beirut sent a shockwave across the capital, killing at least 100 people and injuring nearly 4,000 according to news … Continue reading FASHION | Lebanese Designers Count The Damage of Massive Blast In Beirut
- TIMELESS | Blancpain Debuts Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe With Blue Dial And Sedan GoldSince its unveiling in the late 1950s, the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe was designed as a gentleman’s drive watch in a size that that can be worn every day. In many ways this timepiece was well ahead of its time and is certainly suited to the current trend of sports watches that can be worn … Continue reading TIMELESS | Blancpain Debuts Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe With Blue Dial And Sedan Gold
- BUSINESS | Diane Von Furstenberg To Pay Laid Off Employees ‘In Full’MILAN | ITALY – Iconic fashion designer Diane von Furstenberg wrote on Instagram that laid-off employees of her struggling company will be paid in full including severances. The statement was in response to a New York Times article that was written about the closing of her company’s clothing stores which laid off 60 percent of … Continue reading BUSINESS | Diane Von Furstenberg To Pay Laid Off Employees ‘In Full’
- FASHION | H&M Collaborates With Sandra Mansour For Its First Collection With An Arab DesignerIn H&M’s storied collaboration history, there has never been one with an Arab designer, until now. Enter Lebanese designer Sandra Mansour with her trailblazing new collection that is an empowering demonstration of hope and resilience even in the most turbulent of times. Inspired by a quartet of powerful female artists, Mansour dares to dream of … Continue reading FASHION | H&M Collaborates With Sandra Mansour For Its First Collection With An Arab Designer