Paris, France – Amid mysterious clouds of Persian blue mist, Elie Sab fashioned up a standout couture collection Wednesday using the symbolism of China.
The Lebanese designer reimagined traditional Chinese drawing through embroiders with sequins, palettes and sparkle that depicted fauna and flora; elements, the house said, that represent powerful protective spirits in Eastern legend.
“Nature, through mystical creatures and divine characters, sparked the curiosity of the designer, inspiring him to translate them into his very own art’’ it added.
Long diaphanous tulle, velvet and chiffon trains brought a magical romance to Saab’s bread-and-butter silhouette of sexy, cinched waist gowns. Models with decorated tiaras walked to Asian traditional music.
There was some sophisticated and thoughtful fashion designs amid to show production – for instance, the famed Chinese traditional dress, the Cheongsam, was reimagined in a light tuxedo – style with a provocative open bust.
Sustainability in Fashion
The fashion industry can be a polluting one, as it puts myriad editors on airplane across the world for fashion seasons that promote clothes to be discarded as soon as they get passé.
But there are some moments of ecological reflection.
One initiative at Elie Saab had front row editors impressed.
The season, there were no program notes on the seats, ones which comprises wads of thick, color-printed photos and detailed texts, and end up in the trash as soon as the critics have finished their reviews.
In their place Wednesday was a giant – and mysterious – barcode on each invitation.
It provoked bemusement from invitees. Each quest was instructed by Saab’s staff to hover their phone camera over the barcode, and then an option automatically appeared to load up the notes electronically to a web browser, saving plenty of trees in the process.
- FASHION | Zac Posen, Red Carpet Favorite, Shuts Down Fashion LabelNew York – Designer Zac Posen is shutting down his namesake label. Posen has been a red carpet favorite for close to two decades, known for glamorous, body-hugging gowns, often with long trains or big, flamboyant ruffles, for stars like Katie Holmes and Rihanna. An announcement from the label’s owners, Hose of Z and Z … Read more
- ENTERTAINMENT | Lady Gaga To Play Scandal – Plagued Gucci Wife In Next Feature FilmLOS ANGELES / CALIFORNIA – Lady Gaga has lined up her next feature film and will play the wife of a murdered heir to the Gucci fashion dynasty, Hollywood media reported on Friday. Gaga, whose first lead movie role in “A Star is Born” last year was critically acclaimed, will play Patrizia Reggiani, who served … Read more
- FASHION | Giorgio Armani To Present His Cruise 2021 Collection In DubaiDUBAI – Italian fashion house Giorgio Armani is heading to Dubai to present its Cruise 2021 collection in the city in April. The show will coincide with the reopening of the brand’s store at The Dubai Mall. ‘I’m very happy to be back in Dubai after 10 years, especially on the occasion of the EXPO … Read more
- FASHION | Couture Meets High-Street In Giambattista Vali, H&M CollaborationROME/ITALY – High-end fashion met budget high-street retail at a glittering catwalk show in Rome on Thursday evening, where Italian designer Giambattista Valli Presented his new collection for Sweden’s H&M in Rome’s sumptuous 17thcentury Palazzo Doria Pamphilj. Against a backdrop of chandeliered gilded salons, models including Kendall Jenner swept down a pink catwalk in an … Read more
- FASHION INDUSTRY | Who Will Be Named Model Of The Year?The British Fashion Council has announced the nominations for the 2019 Fashion Awards, with model Adut Akech and designer Daniel Lee of Bottega Veneta among those recognized. The awards recognize “exceptional individuals whose imagination and creativity has broken new ground in fashion” in the fashion industry, a British Fashion Council (BFC) press release stated. The … Read more
- SPORT | Rafa Nadal Marries Mery Perello: See Her Two Stunning Wedding DressMILAN/ITALY – Congratulations are in order for tennis superstar Rafa Nadal, 33, who married his long-term girlfriend Mery Perello, 31, in a beautiful ceremony on the Spanish island of Majorca on 19 October. As well as a few sweet photos of the happy couple, several sketches have been released detailing not one but two gorgeous … Read more