Athens, Greece – Greece’s Acropolis Museum opened an excavation site underneath its modern building on Friday, allowing visitors for the first time to walk through an ancient Athenian neighborhood that survived from the Classical era to Byzantine times.
The museum, which site at the foot of the Acropolis hill in Athens, houses masterpiece sculptures of Greek antiquity, including works from the Parthenon, one of the most influential buildings in Western civilizations.
“Visitors can come down and see ancient ruins of the city of Athens, especially in the area south of the Acropolis”, Acropolis Museum Director Dimitirs Pantermalis told Reuters.
“We hope to also present the movable finds of the excavation soon, to give a picture of the daily life of ancient Athens”.
Below the museum’s base which floats on concrete pillars, lies a neighborhoods of excavated homes, workshops, baths, of lavish mansions, which at the time included chambers where bathers could warm up before taking a dip in heated pools.
One of the highlights is the home of a wealthy Athenian, dating back to the sixth century AD.
Designed by architect Bernard Tschumi with a view to reflect the mathematical and conceptual clarity of ancient Greece, the Acropolis Museum has attracted more than 14 million visitors since it opened doors 10 years ago.
Greece has repeatedly called on Britain to release Parthenon marbles currently housed at its national museum, recently upping the rhetoric in a near 200-year-old camping for the sculptures’’ return.
- BREAKING NEWS | Minister of Culture: UNESCO’S Mission, SDGs, in Line With Saudi Vision 2030MILAN/ITALY – The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia affirmed the importance of promoting sciences, culture and the arts to contribute to the spread of dialogue and communication among nations, for a prosperous present and a better future for next coming generations. In a speech, at the 40th Session of the UNESCO General Conference, Prince Bader bin … Read more
- ENTERTAINMENT & ARTS | Jennifer Lopez Revives Dress Behind The Invention of Google ImagesMILAN, ITALY – -U.S. singer Jennifer Lopez was revived her iconic green Versace dress that led to the invention of Google Images. Lopez, 50, first wore the gown to the Grammy Awards in February 2000. Former Google CEO Erich Schmidt later revealed there were so many searches for photos of the dress afterwards, it inspired … Read more
- KSA | Saudi Tourism Authority In Cooperation With Ministry Of Culture Prepare To Organize “Masterpieces Of The Kingdom’s Monuments” Exhibition In RomeSaudi Commission for Tourism and National Heritage (SCTH) is set to open the exhibition” Trade Routes in Arabian Peninsula – Masterpieces of the Monuments of Saudi Arabia through the Ages”, in cooperation with Ministry of Culture of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, at the National Roman Museum in the Italian capital of Rome late October … Read more
- KSA | Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud Orders Renovation Of Princess Nourah’s PalaceJEDDAH, SAUDI ARABIA – Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense order the renovation of Princess Nourah Bint Abdulraham Palace at his own personal expense. The palace titled “Al-Shamsiya Palace” is located near Al-Murabba neighborhood in Riyadh. “This directive reflects the Crown Prince’s keenness to support … Read more
- KSA | Saudi Arabia’s Biggest Entertainment Event To Host International Starts, ShowsRiyadh, SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia’s Riyadh Season will bring 14 international stat acts and an array of exclusive shows to the country’s capital, the General Entertainment Authority (GEA) announced on Saturday. The season will run from October 11 to December 15, 2019 and host renowned artists including Bruno Mars, Pitbull, John Legend, and Alicia … Read more
- ENTERTAINMENT | Taylor Swift sets new record with sixth No.1 album “Lover”JEDDAH, SAUDI ARABIA – In a single week, “Lover” netted 867,000 equivalent units ( 679,000 of that were album sales) in the US, according to Billboard. It’s the largest sales week for any album since Swift’s last 2017 release “Reputation”, Billboard said. With “Lover” topping the charts, Swift has become the first female artist to … Read more