Cairo, Egypt – Egypt on Sunday launched a revamp of the Egyprian Museum, promising to preserve and enhance the stories site even as it loses it most famous collections.
Located in the heart of Cairo on Tahrir Square, the Egyptian Museum has long been the foremost home for the country’s bounteous collection of antiquities.
But it will soon lose some of the treasure from King Tutankham’s tomb to the Grand Egyptian Museum, due to open next year next to the Giza pyramids, while a collection of royal mummies is being transferred to another new site in Cairo, the National Museum of Egyptian Civilization.
The initial restructuring of the Egyptian Museum will include the redisplay of several galleries near the entrance and the relocation of the Tanis Royal tombs to the space vacated by the Tutankhamum collection.
Financed by 3.1 million of EU Funding and backed by a consortium of five European museums including British Museum and Louvre, the project will develop a long-term vision for the museum, and officials hope , allow it to win a listing as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Egyptian Antiquities Minister Khaled El-Enany repeated a promise that new museums would not pose a threat, and that the Egyptian Museum, which houses more than 150.000 objects, should get “all the support and attention it deserves”.
“The time has come to shed a new light on the museum’s rich collection, upgrade its physical structure and improve its research and programing activities to reach the highest international standards” he told a launch even in the museum’s garden.
The apparently casual management and display of artefacts at the Egyptian Museum surprises some visitors. In 2014 employees damaged King Tutankhamum’s golden burial mask by gluing its dislodged bear back on.
But it charms many others with its old-fashioned feel.
Some display cases date back to the mind-19th century when the collections were displayed elsewhere in Cairo, and there are signs have been changed since the museum opened in 1902, museum director Sabah Abdel Razek Saddik said.
For Egyptologist, the museum is the “mother” of Egyptian museum, said Friederike Seyfried, director of the Egyptian Museum in Berlin, which is also participating in the project.
“Nothing can be compared with the Egyptian Museum at Tahriri and this will never change”, she said.
“New-build museums will be beacons of modern achievements in museology but the Egyptian museum at Tahrir reflect the history of our science”.
Tourism is a key sector in Egypt’s economy and a major source of foreign revenue. It has been gradually recovering from the political turmoil and security problem that followed the “Arab Spring” civil unrest of 2011.
The government is currently battling to prevent the auction of an 18th Dynasty quartzite sculpture god Amen in the likeness of King Tutankhamum scheduled for next month at Christie’s in London.
“I’m deeply saddened to see every now and then some Egyptian antiquities put on sale in the international market. We have succeeded in the ministry in the last few years in repatriating thousands of objects and will continue to do so”, Enany said.
- ENTERTAINMENT & ARTS | Jennifer Lopez Revives Dress Behind The Invention of Google ImagesMILAN, ITALY – -U.S. singer Jennifer Lopez was revived her iconic green Versace dress that led to the invention of Google Images. Lopez, 50, first wore the gown to the Grammy Awards in February 2000. Former Google CEO Erich Schmidt later revealed there were so many searches for photos of the dress afterwards, it inspired … Read more
- KSA | Saudi Tourism Authority In Cooperation With Ministry Of Culture Prepare To Organize “Masterpieces Of The Kingdom’s Monuments” Exhibition In RomeSaudi Commission for Tourism and National Heritage (SCTH) is set to open the exhibition” Trade Routes in Arabian Peninsula – Masterpieces of the Monuments of Saudi Arabia through the Ages”, in cooperation with Ministry of Culture of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, at the National Roman Museum in the Italian capital of Rome late October … Read more
- KSA | Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud Orders Renovation Of Princess Nourah’s PalaceJEDDAH, SAUDI ARABIA – Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense order the renovation of Princess Nourah Bint Abdulraham Palace at his own personal expense. The palace titled “Al-Shamsiya Palace” is located near Al-Murabba neighborhood in Riyadh. “This directive reflects the Crown Prince’s keenness to support … Read more
- KSA | Saudi Arabia’s Biggest Entertainment Event To Host International Starts, ShowsRiyadh, SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia’s Riyadh Season will bring 14 international stat acts and an array of exclusive shows to the country’s capital, the General Entertainment Authority (GEA) announced on Saturday. The season will run from October 11 to December 15, 2019 and host renowned artists including Bruno Mars, Pitbull, John Legend, and Alicia … Read more
- ENTERTAINMENT | Taylor Swift sets new record with sixth No.1 album “Lover”JEDDAH, SAUDI ARABIA – In a single week, “Lover” netted 867,000 equivalent units ( 679,000 of that were album sales) in the US, according to Billboard. It’s the largest sales week for any album since Swift’s last 2017 release “Reputation”, Billboard said. With “Lover” topping the charts, Swift has become the first female artist to … Read more
- KSA | The International Film “Born As King” Will Be Shown On September 26th At Cinemas In The Kingdom And GCC Stateshttps://youtu.be/sqoRXLAq9J8 RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA, September 1, 2019 – King Faisal Center for Research and Islamic Studies has announced the date of showing the international film “Born as King” starting from Thursday, September 26, 2019, in cinemas in the Kingdom and Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) States. The film deals with the visit of King Faisal bin … Read more