Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, June 20, 2019– Minister of State for Foreign Affairs and Member of the Cabinet Adel Al-Jubeir told Saudi Press Agency, ‘The death of Jamal Khashoggi, may Allah have mercy on him, was an unfortunate and painful crime that cannot be condoned or tolerated by the perpetrators.
The Kingdom, as already announced, has begun to take the necessary measures to bring the perpetrators of this crime to justice according to the regulations in force in the Kingdom after they exceeded all the applicable regulations and powers with their deed”.
On the report of the Special Rapporteur of the Human Rights Council, the minister said, “The report of Ms. Callamard has, regrettably, presented many unfounded accusations, including the violation of a number of international conventions, and is totally unacceptable to the leadership of the Kingdom.
The minister of State for Foreign Affairs added that “Saudi Arabia, while affirming its deep commitment to and respect for international conventions and laws and its rejection of all the unjustified violations and allegations contained in the report, reserves the right to take the legal action to respond to them”.
On the impartiality of the report and its credibility, Al-Jubeir pointed out that there are serious reasons to emphasize the impartiality and lack of objectivity of the report of the Special Rapporteur and the Special Rapporteur’s person, and the conclusions reached by the Special Rapporteur as she relied in her report on press and press and media reports, as well as on analysis and conclusions of unnamed experts in reaching a number of key conclusion in her report, as well as her use in the report of expressions, descriptions and allegations previously used by parties hostile to the Kingdom for political, ideological and historical reasons. They were adopted by non-neutral parties to undermine the Kingdom and its leadership. Needless to say, all of this confirms the unreliability of the report and its lack of credibility, which should be taken into account un its preparation, even if it is nor a formal or binding report of the United Nations.
The minister said that the Special Rapporteur ignored the efforts made by the competent authorities in the Kingdom to investigate and bring to justice the perpetrators of the crime, which had already been announced. She should have referred to those efforts and that the ongoing investigations and judicial proceedings in this case in the Kingdom should be given full respect as they infringe on the kingdom’s sovereignty and its judicial institutions, which can never be tolerated.
He added that the report in an inapprehensible manner reduced the measures taken by the Kingdom to restructure the General Intelligence Presidency in the Kingdom , which was announced. On the eligibility of the Special Rapporteur, the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs said, “The allegations and false allegations contained in the report are based on preconceived ideas and positions of Ms. Callamard regarding the Kingdom. This is evidence by her insistence the first days of the incident to accuse the Kingdom without any evidence as on the third day of the painful incident, she began to publish tweets accusing the Kingdom of responsibility for the murder and of covering up the crime. She also described the statement of the Attorney General in the Kingdom as unacceptable and questioned the impartiality of the investigations, without regard to the code of conduct imposed on her by a professional and impartial evaluation of the facts. This raises an important question as to whether Ms.Callamard is qualified to submit an objective and impartial report on the case.
Minister Adel Al-Jubeir added that “Based on the keenness of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to deal with this issue away from any political or media exploitation, or to negatively affect the ongoing trials in the Kingdom and in continuation of its approach in cooperation with international human rights mechanisms in accordance with international norms, it provided the High Commissioner for Human Rights Ms. Michelle Bachelet Jeria with a detailed progress report on the case on 3 June 2019.
The minister concluded his statement by stressing that the Kingdom will never accept any attempt to harm its sovereignty and that it categorically rejects any attempt to derail this issue in the kingdom’s justice system or any attempt to influence it in any way. He added that the kingdom will never accept any attempt to infringe on its leadership or interfere with the functioning of its independent judicial institutions.
- NEWS ALERT | Saudi Crown Prince Makes Phone Call To Brazilian PresidentRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense made Thursday a telephone call to His Excellency President Jair Messias Bolsonaro of Brazil. During the phone conversation, Prince Mohammed bin Salman was reassured of the health of the Brazilian President, … Continue reading NEWS ALERT | Saudi Crown Prince Makes Phone Call To Brazilian President
- BUSINESS NEWS | Russia Does Not Plan Saudi Talks Ahead Of OPEC+ Monitoring Meeting: KremlinBUCHAREST | ROMANIA – The Kremlin said on Thursday Russia currently had no plans to hold talks with Saudi Arabia ahead of joint OPEC+ ministerial monitoring committee due to be held next week.
- NEWS ALERT | Saudi-led coalition in Yemen says explosive boats destroyed in Red Sea – Saudi TVRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – The Saudi-led military coalition fighting the Iran-aligned Houthi group in Yemen said it destroyed two explosive –laden boasts in the red Sea, Saudi State TV reported on Thursday. The two remotely controlled boats were threatening navigation, the coalition said. They were destroyed south of the Yemeni port of Salif it … Continue reading NEWS ALERT | Saudi-led coalition in Yemen says explosive boats destroyed in Red Sea – Saudi TV
- BUSINESS NEWS | Saudi Arabia Completes First Phase Of State Mills PrivatisationRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia said on Wednesday it had complete the first batch of its flour milling sector privatization, according to a statement by the state grain buyer and privatization centre. The long-awaited flour mills sale was one of the first privatisations the kingdom planned as part of a wide-reaching overhaul of … Continue reading BUSINESS NEWS | Saudi Arabia Completes First Phase Of State Mills Privatisation
- BUSINESS NEWS | Saudi Arabia Nominates Candidate To Bead WTO: DocumentGENEVA – Saudi Arabia nominated a former economy and planning minister to head the World Trade Organization on Wednesday, a WTO document showed, amid a last –minute flurry of submission to succeed the incumbent Roberto Azevedo who is stepping down in August. ‘The following communication, nominating Mr. Mohammad Mazid Al-Tuwaijri for the position of Director-General, … Continue reading BUSINESS NEWS | Saudi Arabia Nominates Candidate To Bead WTO: Document
- BUSINESS NEWS | Saudi Unemployment Falls In First Quarter, But Before Coronavirus ImpactRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Unemployment among citizens in the first quarter fell below 12% for the first time in four years, official figures released on Tuesday showed, but they did not capture the impact of the coronavirus crisis. Unemployment fell to 11.8% from 12% the previous quarter, the General Authority for Statistics said. ‘Data … Continue reading BUSINESS NEWS | Saudi Unemployment Falls In First Quarter, But Before Coronavirus Impact