Abu Dhabi, UAE – To ensure that Sharjah’s healthcare professionals working in antenatal and postnatal care are aware of the latest breastfeeding practices worldwide, the Sharjah Baby-Friendly Office, SBFO, organized training courses for 231 medical and non-medical staff across the emirate’s major hospitals and health institutions.
The 20-hour training course, conducted in collaboration with the Khorfakkan Hospital in Sharjah and the Family Health Promotion Centre, was aimed at strengthening their knowledge and skills to successfully implement the UNICEF-WHO-formulated “Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding (Ten Steps)” 2018 Guidelines and the “International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes” (also known as the WHO Code).
The participants underwent through four session over three-day in April, May and June. The SBFO and Khorfakkan Hospital have also agreed to train an additional 300 hospital staff members by the end of 2019.
Following the latest revision of the training course, in December 2018, the SBFO launched the Arabic version of the Ten Steps and distributed it to all Sharjah-based health facilities for implementation.
Dr. Hessa Khalfan Al-Ghazal, Executive Director of the SBFO, said, “This training course is part of the SBFO’s mandate to keep up with the recent developments in the medical field to ensure that Sharjah’s medical staff and health professionals follow the highest international standards in maternity and newborn services, especially after UNICEF and WHO released the revised BFHI implementation guidelines”.
“The practice of breastfeeding lays the foundation of a healthy life for both the mother and the baby. This is a part of Sharjah’s holistic vision to care for all children from birth, in all spects of life, including protecting their health and rights”, she added.
The Sharjah Baby-Friendly Project successfully adopted four initiatives that were implemented simultaneously for the first time in the world.
The first initiative, baby-friendly health facilities, is based on the international baby-friendly hospital initiative, launched by the WHO and the UNICEF. The other three initiative included mother-friendly workplaces, breastfeeding-friendly nurseries and mother-and baby-friendly public places.
In December 2015, Sharjah was recognized as the world’s first baby – friendly city by the WHO and the UNICEF.
- KSA | Saudi Arabia Guest Of Honour At Eurotier Middle EastRiyadh, Saudi Arabia – Saudi Arabia has been named “Guest of Honour” at the inaugural EuroTier Middle East, recognizing the Kingdom’s regional and global role in supporting sustainable agricultural and livestock development. Held in cooperation with the Abu Dhabi Agriculture and Food Safety Authority, ADAFSA, EuroTier Middle East is set to be held at the … Read More
- EMIRATES | Islamic new year holiday announced for government entitiesAbu Dhabi, UAE, August 19, 2019 – The Islamic New Year holiday (1441 Hijri) for ministries and federal entities in the UAW will be on the first day of Muharram, according to the Islamic Calendar. The first day of the Hijri New Year will be officially determined following a moon sighting later on this month. … Read More
- EMIRATES | Pakistan President Confers Top Civilian Honour on UAE’S Sheikh MansourRiyadh, Saudi Arabia, August 18, 2019 – The President of Pakistan, Arif Alvi, has awarded a UAE leader one of the country’s highest civilian honours. Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister of UAE and Minister of Presidential Affairs, was awarded the “Hilal-e-Pakistan” (Crescent of Pakistan), according to a tweet by Sheikh Mansour … Read More
- BUSINESS | How Much It Cost To Get Your Ad To Light Up Burj KhalifaDUBAI, UAE – The cost to place a promotional advert or message on the façade of the Burj Khalifa starts from AED 250,000 ($68,073) for a single three minute display, according to the marketing agency which manages the lighting display. Prices range from AED250,000 for three minutes during weekdays from 8PM to 10PM, rising to … Read More
- EMIRATES | Dubai To Witness Middle East’s First Dinosaur Skeleton Auction With Initial Value Of AED 14 MillionDUBAI, UAE – August 17, 2019 – A massive 155-million-year-old dinosaur skeleton will be up for grabs for lovers of rare collectibles as Emirates Auction announced it will organize the Middle East’s first auction to sell the giant dinosaur skeleton. The online auction will be staged by Emirates Auction, the leading company in the field … Read More
- Kingdom of Saudi Arabia | KhalifaSat Captures Image of Grand Mosque Makkah During Eid Al AdhaRIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA – An Image of the Grand Mosque of Makkah was taken by KhalifaSat on the first day of Eid Al Adha during the Hajj pilgrimage of this year. KhalifaSat was fully developed at the Mohammed Bin Rashid Space Centre’s facilities by Emirati engineers and was launched into space in October 2018. It … Read More