Abu Dhabi, UAE – To ensure that Sharjah’s healthcare professionals working in antenatal and postnatal care are aware of the latest breastfeeding practices worldwide, the Sharjah Baby-Friendly Office, SBFO, organized training courses for 231 medical and non-medical staff across the emirate’s major hospitals and health institutions.
The 20-hour training course, conducted in collaboration with the Khorfakkan Hospital in Sharjah and the Family Health Promotion Centre, was aimed at strengthening their knowledge and skills to successfully implement the UNICEF-WHO-formulated “Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding (Ten Steps)” 2018 Guidelines and the “International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes” (also known as the WHO Code).
The participants underwent through four session over three-day in April, May and June. The SBFO and Khorfakkan Hospital have also agreed to train an additional 300 hospital staff members by the end of 2019.
Following the latest revision of the training course, in December 2018, the SBFO launched the Arabic version of the Ten Steps and distributed it to all Sharjah-based health facilities for implementation.
Dr. Hessa Khalfan Al-Ghazal, Executive Director of the SBFO, said, “This training course is part of the SBFO’s mandate to keep up with the recent developments in the medical field to ensure that Sharjah’s medical staff and health professionals follow the highest international standards in maternity and newborn services, especially after UNICEF and WHO released the revised BFHI implementation guidelines”.
“The practice of breastfeeding lays the foundation of a healthy life for both the mother and the baby. This is a part of Sharjah’s holistic vision to care for all children from birth, in all spects of life, including protecting their health and rights”, she added.
The Sharjah Baby-Friendly Project successfully adopted four initiatives that were implemented simultaneously for the first time in the world.
The first initiative, baby-friendly health facilities, is based on the international baby-friendly hospital initiative, launched by the WHO and the UNICEF. The other three initiative included mother-friendly workplaces, breastfeeding-friendly nurseries and mother-and baby-friendly public places.
In December 2015, Sharjah was recognized as the world’s first baby – friendly city by the WHO and the UNICEF.
- DAVOS | Khalid Bin Mohamed Bin Zayed Meets Senior Officials, Discusses Strategic Cooperation Partnership In DavosDAVOS | SWITZERLAND – – Sheikh Khalid bin Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Member of the Abu Dhabi Executive Council and Chairman of the Abu Dhabi Executive Office, has met with ministers and senior officials to discuss strategic cooperation in the fields of economy. Artificial Intelligence, and capacity building during his participation in the 50th … Read more
- NEWS ALERT | Abu Dhabi Screen China Flights As Virus SpreadABU DHABI | UAE – Abu Dhabi International, the base of carrier Etihad Airways, will screen passengers arriving from China, the airport said on Thursday, as the coronavirus outbreak in China spread. “Abu Dhabi International Airport has started a screening process for passengers arriving from China in an effort to ensure the health and safety … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | Dubai To Screen Passengers On China Flights After Virus OutbreakDUBAI – – Dubai will screen passengers arriving on direct flights from China, the airport operator said on Thursday, as health authorities around the world scramble to prevent a global pandemic. A new coronavirus that first appeared in the Chinese city of Wuhan has killed 17 and infected nearly 600, most in China but cases … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | Japan PM Heading To Middle East As Planned, Warship Dispatch OrderedMILAN | ITALY – – Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will go ahead with a planned trip to Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Oman from the weekend despite heightened tensions in the Middle East, while Tokyo also dispatched a warship and patrol planes to the region. TV Asahi had reported the trip would … Read more
- EMIRATES | “Seven Lines” Announced As UAE Nation BrandEMIRATES | “Seven Lines” Announced As UAE Nation Brand ABU DHABI | UAE – Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai, and Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forced, have official launched the “Seven Lines” … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | UAE Reaffirm Importance of Regional De-escalationABU DHABI | UAE – The UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation said it was closely following regional developments, and reaffirmed the importance of de-escalating current tensions. In a statement issued today, the UAE Ministry stressed the importance of dialogue and political solution in the current situation. It also confirmed that recent developments … Read more