Abu Dhabi, UAE – To ensure that Sharjah’s healthcare professionals working in antenatal and postnatal care are aware of the latest breastfeeding practices worldwide, the Sharjah Baby-Friendly Office, SBFO, organized training courses for 231 medical and non-medical staff across the emirate’s major hospitals and health institutions.
The 20-hour training course, conducted in collaboration with the Khorfakkan Hospital in Sharjah and the Family Health Promotion Centre, was aimed at strengthening their knowledge and skills to successfully implement the UNICEF-WHO-formulated “Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding (Ten Steps)” 2018 Guidelines and the “International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes” (also known as the WHO Code).
The participants underwent through four session over three-day in April, May and June. The SBFO and Khorfakkan Hospital have also agreed to train an additional 300 hospital staff members by the end of 2019.
Following the latest revision of the training course, in December 2018, the SBFO launched the Arabic version of the Ten Steps and distributed it to all Sharjah-based health facilities for implementation.
Dr. Hessa Khalfan Al-Ghazal, Executive Director of the SBFO, said, “This training course is part of the SBFO’s mandate to keep up with the recent developments in the medical field to ensure that Sharjah’s medical staff and health professionals follow the highest international standards in maternity and newborn services, especially after UNICEF and WHO released the revised BFHI implementation guidelines”.
“The practice of breastfeeding lays the foundation of a healthy life for both the mother and the baby. This is a part of Sharjah’s holistic vision to care for all children from birth, in all spects of life, including protecting their health and rights”, she added.
The Sharjah Baby-Friendly Project successfully adopted four initiatives that were implemented simultaneously for the first time in the world.
The first initiative, baby-friendly health facilities, is based on the international baby-friendly hospital initiative, launched by the WHO and the UNICEF. The other three initiative included mother-friendly workplaces, breastfeeding-friendly nurseries and mother-and baby-friendly public places.
In December 2015, Sharjah was recognized as the world’s first baby – friendly city by the WHO and the UNICEF.
- BUSINESS | Dubai Expects 3.2 Growth in 2020DUBAI | UAE – – Dubai’s Department of Economic Development (D.E.D.) expects the real GDP growth to reach 2.1. percent this year, 3.2 percent in 2020, and 3 percent in 2021. Crown Prince of Dubai and Chairman of Executive Council of Dubai Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum stressed that the comprehensive development … Read more
- SOCIAL MEDIA | Sharjah Issues Social Media Law For Government, InfluencersRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Crown Prince of Sharjah and Deputy Ruler of Sharjah and Chairman of the Sharjah Executive Committee, issued and Executive Decree No. 39 of 2019 that makes it mandatory for all government departments in Sharjah to first get approval from the Sharjah Media Office prior to using services offered by social … Read more
- SAUDI ARABIA | Custodian Of The Two Holy Mosques Receives Cable Of Condolences From The President, Vice President Of UAE And Crown Prince Of Abu Dhabi On The Death Of Prince Miteb Bin AbdulazizRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud received a cable of condolences from the President of the United Arab Emirates Sheikh Khalifa bin Zaid Al Nahyan on the death of Prince Miteb bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. In his cable, the UAE President expressed sincere … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Sends Cable Of Thanks To President of UAERIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA, December 1, 2019 – His Royal Highness Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, has, upon his departure from the UAE, sent a cable of thanks to Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of … Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | UAE Leaders Congratulate Romania President On “Great Union Day”ABU DHABI | UAE, December 1, 2019 – President His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, has sent a message to Romanian President Klaus Iohannis, congratulating him on Romania’s “Great Union Day”, which is observed on December 1. His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai … Read more
- HIGH SOCIETY | Mohammed Bin Salman, Mohammed Bin Zayed, Mohammed Bin Rashid Attend Final Day Of F1 Abu Dhabi Grand PrixH.H. Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai, H.H. Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, and His Royal Highness Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister … Read more