Jeddah, Saudi Arabia – Saudi Arabia was set to host the opening of a pop-up nightclub on Thursday, but it was “shut down” ahead the arrival of its headline act.
White, a Dubai-based nightclub company, had planned to open a temporary brunch in the Saudi Arabian city of Jeddah.
It had lined up American singer Ne-Yo for its opening night, with entry costing between €71-€222 per person.
To operate within the country’s conservative rules, the company referred to the popup as a café, a lounge or a performance venue, which was also alcohol-free.
The dress code was listed as “smart casual” indicating that attendees would not need to adhere to the country’s strict regulations on clothes, including Abaya worn by women.
Saudi social media users appeared split on the idea of opening the venue for its month-long residency.
Using hashtag “disco_in_Jeddah”, many posted amusing memes about the planned opening night and asked where they could get tickets.
Others, however, maintained that the club would be a violation of Islamic codes.
Serge Trad, the communication advisor for Addmind Hospitality Group, said the pop-up’s Instagram had been shut down after it had been reported.
He said: “It was part of the negative feedback we were getting. People were angry about “White” opening there”.
A short later, the Saudi General Authority for Entertainment said in a tweet that it had opened an investigation into the event that had been a “violation of the legal proceedings” and “had not been licensed”.
The statement added that the authority had “originally issued a licence for another event”, but “its contractor then took advantage of an extension of that licence to commit these serious and unacceptable violations”.
Meanwhile, Ne-Yo posted a message on Instagram to say he had been informed the club being shut down as he was “on the way to the venue”. “Guess we’ll try again another time”, he said.
- Saudi King Salman Wishes Prosperity On Nation Ahead Of National DayRiyadh / Saudi Arabia – – Saudi Arabia’s King Salman bin Abdulaziz wished prosperity on the nation ahead of the Kingdom’s 91st National Day on Thursday. The comments were made during a virtual session of the Council of Ministers on Tuesday. King Salman also commemorated his predecessors including the country’s founder, King Abdulaziz. Saudi National … More Saudi King Salman Wishes Prosperity On Nation Ahead Of National Day
- Saudi Arabia Expresses Concern Over Iran’s Lack Of Transparency On Nuclear ProgramRiyadh / Saudi Arabia – Saudi Arabia is concerned over Iran’s lack of transparency in regards to its nuclear program, the Kingdom’s Minister of Energy Prince Abdulaziz Bin Salman said on Monday during an International Atomic Energy (IAEA) meeting with other member states. Saudi Arabia reiterates the importance of countries around the world abiding by … More Saudi Arabia Expresses Concern Over Iran’s Lack Of Transparency On Nuclear Program
- U.S. State Department Approves Potential $500 Million Saudi Maintenance Deal￼WASHINGTON – – The U.S. State Department has approved a potential agreement covering up to $500 million in military support services for Saudi Arabia, and has sent the agreement to Congress for review, the Pentagon said on Thursday. It was the first major defense agreement for Saudi Arabia sent to Congress since President Joe Biden … More U.S. State Department Approves Potential $500 Million Saudi Maintenance Deal￼
- Saudi – Led Coalition Thwarts Houthi Missile And Drones Attack – MediaDubai / UAE – – The Saudi – led coalition said late on Thursday that it thwarted and destroyed four Houthi explosives – laden drones and a ballistic rocket fired in the direction of the southern Saudi city of Jazan, Saudi state media reported. The Saudi – led military coalition intervened in Yemen in 2015, … More Saudi – Led Coalition Thwarts Houthi Missile And Drones Attack – Media
- Saudi Crown Prince Launches ‘Human Capability Development’ ProgramRiyadh / Saudi Arabia – – Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman launched a new program on Wednesday as part of Saudi Vision 2030 plans and a national strategy to ‘strengthen citizen’s capabilities locally and globally’. ‘The Human Capability Development Program represents a national strategy to enhance the competitiveness of national human capabilities locally … More Saudi Crown Prince Launches ‘Human Capability Development’ Program
- Saudi Arabia’s King Salman Sends Message To Algeria’s President Via Foreign MinisterRiyadh / Saudi Arabia – Saudi Arabia’s King Salman has sent a message to Algeria’s President Abdelmadjid Tebboune via the kingdom’s foreign minister regarding the ‘historical brotherly relations’ and joint cooperation between the two countries, according to state – run Saudi Press Agency. The message was conveyed by Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin … More Saudi Arabia’s King Salman Sends Message To Algeria’s President Via Foreign Minister