Jeddah, Saudi Arabia – Saudi Arabia was set to host the opening of a pop-up nightclub on Thursday, but it was “shut down” ahead the arrival of its headline act.
White, a Dubai-based nightclub company, had planned to open a temporary brunch in the Saudi Arabian city of Jeddah.
It had lined up American singer Ne-Yo for its opening night, with entry costing between €71-€222 per person.
To operate within the country’s conservative rules, the company referred to the popup as a café, a lounge or a performance venue, which was also alcohol-free.
The dress code was listed as “smart casual” indicating that attendees would not need to adhere to the country’s strict regulations on clothes, including Abaya worn by women.
Saudi social media users appeared split on the idea of opening the venue for its month-long residency.
Using hashtag “disco_in_Jeddah”, many posted amusing memes about the planned opening night and asked where they could get tickets.
Others, however, maintained that the club would be a violation of Islamic codes.
Serge Trad, the communication advisor for Addmind Hospitality Group, said the pop-up’s Instagram had been shut down after it had been reported.
He said: “It was part of the negative feedback we were getting. People were angry about “White” opening there”.
A short later, the Saudi General Authority for Entertainment said in a tweet that it had opened an investigation into the event that had been a “violation of the legal proceedings” and “had not been licensed”.
The statement added that the authority had “originally issued a licence for another event”, but “its contractor then took advantage of an extension of that licence to commit these serious and unacceptable violations”.
Meanwhile, Ne-Yo posted a message on Instagram to say he had been informed the club being shut down as he was “on the way to the venue”. “Guess we’ll try again another time”, he said.
- Saudi Arabia Resumes Visa On Arrival For US, UK, Schengen Valid Visa HoldersPARIS, France – Saudi Arabia has resumed issuing visas on arrival for holders of valid U.S., U.K. and Schengen visas if they qualify for an e – visa, state news agency (SPA) reported on Friday. The decision which allows any of these visa holders to ger a 12 – month tourist visa upon arrival to … More Saudi Arabia Resumes Visa On Arrival For US, UK, Schengen Valid Visa Holders
- Biden, Saudi King Discuss Energy Supplies, Iran And YemenPARIS, France – U.S. President Joe Biden and King Salman of Saudi Arabia discussed energy supplies in the face of soaring fuel prices and developments in the Middle East, including Iran and Yemen, in a telephone call on Wednesday. ‘The two leaders committed to ensuring the stability of global energy supplies’, the White House said … More Biden, Saudi King Discuss Energy Supplies, Iran And Yemen
- Saudi Arabia Requires Citizens To Take COVID Booster Shot To Travel Abroad Starting Feb. 9PARIS, France – Saudi Arabia said on Thursday that citizens will be required to take the COVID-19 booster shot to be able to travel abroad starting Feb.9, state media reported. The kingdom is also requiring visitors to present a negative PCR result before entry.
- King Salman Heads Saudi Arabia’s First In – Person Cabinet Session Since PandemicSaudi Arabia’s King Salman bin Abdul Aziz headed on Tuesday the first in – person Cabinet meeting in Riyadh since COVID-19 disrupted activities globally. The Council of Ministers met at the al – Yamamah Palace in Riyadh on Tuesday to discuss a range of events front recent leaps made in bilateral ties with a number … More King Salman Heads Saudi Arabia’s First In – Person Cabinet Session Since Pandemic
- Saudi Arabia Says Dakar Rally Accident Investigation Show No Criminal SuspicionsParis, France – Saudi Arabia’s foreign ministry said on Friday that initial results of an investigation an accident during the Dakar car rally, which left one French contestant injured last week, showed no criminal suspicions. The Kingdom is liaising with the concerned French authorities to share available related to the accident, the ministry added in … More Saudi Arabia Says Dakar Rally Accident Investigation Show No Criminal Suspicions
- Saudi Culture Minister To Open Saudi Day Celebration At Expo 2020 Dubai On FridayPARIS, France – Prince Badr bin Abdullah bin Farhan, culture minister and chairman of the supervisory committee of the Saudi Pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai, will head an official Saudi delegation that will visit the UAE to attend the Saudi Day celebration on Friday, Saudi Press Agency said on Wednesday. The Pavilion is preparing to … More Saudi Culture Minister To Open Saudi Day Celebration At Expo 2020 Dubai On Friday