Jeddah, Saudi Arabia – Saudi Arabia was set to host the opening of a pop-up nightclub on Thursday, but it was “shut down” ahead the arrival of its headline act.
White, a Dubai-based nightclub company, had planned to open a temporary brunch in the Saudi Arabian city of Jeddah.
It had lined up American singer Ne-Yo for its opening night, with entry costing between €71-€222 per person.
To operate within the country’s conservative rules, the company referred to the popup as a café, a lounge or a performance venue, which was also alcohol-free.
The dress code was listed as “smart casual” indicating that attendees would not need to adhere to the country’s strict regulations on clothes, including Abaya worn by women.
Saudi social media users appeared split on the idea of opening the venue for its month-long residency.
Using hashtag “disco_in_Jeddah”, many posted amusing memes about the planned opening night and asked where they could get tickets.
Others, however, maintained that the club would be a violation of Islamic codes.
Serge Trad, the communication advisor for Addmind Hospitality Group, said the pop-up’s Instagram had been shut down after it had been reported.
He said: “It was part of the negative feedback we were getting. People were angry about “White” opening there”.
A short later, the Saudi General Authority for Entertainment said in a tweet that it had opened an investigation into the event that had been a “violation of the legal proceedings” and “had not been licensed”.
The statement added that the authority had “originally issued a licence for another event”, but “its contractor then took advantage of an extension of that licence to commit these serious and unacceptable violations”.
Meanwhile, Ne-Yo posted a message on Instagram to say he had been informed the club being shut down as he was “on the way to the venue”. “Guess we’ll try again another time”, he said.
- BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Arabia Announces 157 New Cases Of CoronavirusRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Health announced 157 new cases of coronavirus on Wednesday, bringing the total number of cases in the Kingdom 1,720. Of the new cases reported, 78 were recorded in Madinah, 55 in Makkah and the rest in Riyadh, Qatif, Jeddah, Hufof, Tabuk, Taif and Al-Henakiyah. The ministry … Continue reading KSA| Pop-Up Saudi Nightclub Launch Night Shut Down Ahead Of Headline Set From Ne-Yo Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | Trump Says He May Join Saudi, Russia In Talks On Oil PricesRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday he would join Saudi Arabia and Russia, if need be, for talks about the sharp fall in oil prices resulting from a price war between the two countries. ‘The two countries are discussing it and I am joining at the appropriate time if … Continue reading KSA| Pop-Up Saudi Nightclub Launch Night Shut Down Ahead Of Headline Set From Ne-Yo Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Minister Tells Muslims To Wait On Making Haj Plans: State TVRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia is urging Muslims to wait before making plans to attend the annual haj pilgrimage until is more clarity about the deadly coronavirus pandemic, the kingdom’s minister for Haj and Umrah said on Tuesday. Some 2.5 million pilgrims usually flock to the holiest sites of Islam in Mecca and … Continue reading KSA| Pop-Up Saudi Nightclub Launch Night Shut Down Ahead Of Headline Set From Ne-Yo Read more
- ENTERTAINMENT | Manga Production Partners With Sumitomo Group To Air Saudi-Anime Series ‘Future’s Folktales’ In JapanRIYADH | Saudi Arabia – Manga Production, a subsidiary of the Prince Mohammed bin Salman ‘Misk’ Foundation, announced Monday its partnership with Sumitomo Group to air the Saudi-anime series ‘Future’s Folktale’ across ‘J-com’ channel in Japan starting Saturday April 4th , 2020. The partnership was signed by two key representatives from the Kingdom of Saudi … Continue reading KSA| Pop-Up Saudi Nightclub Launch Night Shut Down Ahead Of Headline Set From Ne-Yo Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | Saudi Arabia To Process Requests To Travel Between Its 13 ProvincesRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia on Sunday a dedicated team to process requests to travel between its 13 provinces following the ban on traveling across provincial borders under the 21-day curfew established by King Salman bin Abdulaziz last week to slow the spread of coronavirus. ‘Based on the curfew order and no-movement restrictions … Continue reading KSA| Pop-Up Saudi Nightclub Launch Night Shut Down Ahead Of Headline Set From Ne-Yo Read more
- BREAKING NEWS | Saudi King Offers To Pay For Coronavirus Patients’ TreatmentRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia will finance treatment for anyone infected with the coronavirus in the country, the health minister said on Monday, while the agriculture ministry took steps to boost wheat and livestock supplies and global fears of a food shortage. The kingdom has registered eight deaths among 1,453 infections, the highest … Continue reading KSA| Pop-Up Saudi Nightclub Launch Night Shut Down Ahead Of Headline Set From Ne-Yo Read more