Riyadh, Saudi Arabia – A popular Mideast nightclub is opening a branch in Saudi Arabia on Thursday in the latest sign of how far the kingdom has loosened restrictions on entertainment. In line with the country’s Islamic laws, though, it will not be serving alcohol.
The club, White Saudi Arabia, will open its doors with an evening performance by American R&B artist Ne-Yo, the communications manager for Addmind Hospitality, Serge Trad, told The Associated Press.
The “White” club has popular branches in Dubai and Beirut, places known for their nightlife, beaches and partying – unlike Saudi Arabia, which is home to Islam’s holiest sites. Addmind Hospitality also has venues in Qatar and Bahrain and is operating on Egypt’s Mediterranean coast this summer.
The Saudi club is temporary, though, operating for just a month until July 18th as part of a city-wide festival in Jiddah aimed as boosting tourism and domestic spending. The Red Sea city is seen as more liberal and diverse than the landlocked capital, Riyadh, where restaurants and cafes enforce gender segregations between single men and women.
The pop-up nightclub may reflect an attempt by Saudi sponsors and officials to test the public’s reactions to more entertainment venues like this in the kingdom.
Traid said the dress code is “smart casual” meaning women will not be required to wear the country’s mandatory loose robe, known as the abaya, or the traditional headscarf and face veil most Saudi women don in public.
The venue is on the Jiddah waterfront, where private beaches do not enforce strict dress code. In a departure from venues in conservative Riyadh, it will serve sheesha, or hookah, the popular Middle Eastern waterpipe.
Entry to the 18-and-over club starts at $80 a person and can reach $250 a person. That prices out many Saudis, for whom the average monthly wage is around $2.600.
In line with Saudi Arabia’s Islamic legal codes, the venues is being referred to as a café, lounge or performance venue in Arabic and not as a nightclub.
Still, that didn’t stop thousands of people from tweeting under the Arabic hashtag “disco in Jiddah”.
While many of the tweets used humor and surprise to talk about the venue, there has been pushback against the club online. Trad said the club’s new Instagram account drew 11,000 followers in less than a day, but was quickly shut down after detractors reported it.
“It was part of the negative feedback we were getting. People were angry abut “White” opening there” Trad said, adding that many others, though, are excited to see what orther artists the venue will host.
Over the past several months, the kingdom has seen performance by Mariah Carey, Enrique Iglesias, Black Eyed Peas, rapper Sean Paul, and DJs David Guetta and Tiesto.
The concerts, where men and women freely stand next to one another, are a stark change from when Saudi Arabia’s morality police would raid establishments that played loud music, break up parties and report groups of single men and women for sitting together in public. For years, concerts and movie theaters were banned.
Gender segregation remains enforced in many restaurants, coffee shops, public schools and universities, but other rules have loosened with women now allowed to drive and attend matches in sports stadiums that were once only open to men.
- NEWS ALERT | Saudi – Led Coalition Destroyed Four Houthi Drones Over Yemen – Saudi Press AgencyRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – The Saudi – led military coalition battling the Houthis in Yemen said on Friday it had destroyed four explosive-laden-drones launched by the Iran-aligned group in the direction of Saudi Arabia, the official Saudi Press Agency reported. The drones were intercepted over territory controlled by the Houthis in Yemen, the agency … Continue reading NEWS ALERT | Saudi – Led Coalition Destroyed Four Houthi Drones Over Yemen – Saudi Press Agency
- NEWS ALERT | Yemen’s Houthis Say Targeted Saudi Airport, Air Base With DronesRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Iran-aligned Houthi forces in Yemen said on Friday they targeted Khamis Mushait and Najran in Saudi Arabia with drones, Houthi military spokesman Yahya Saria said on Twitter. The Saudi – led coalition said earlier on Friday it intercepted and destroyed four explosive – laden drones launched by the group in … Continue reading NEWS ALERT | Yemen’s Houthis Say Targeted Saudi Airport, Air Base With Drones
- BUSINESS | Saudi Arabia Extends Economic Measures To Mitigate Pandemic Impact: SPARIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia extended for an additional period several government initiatives to support the private sector and investors in mitigate the impact of the coronavirus outbreak, state news agency SPA reported on Thursday, citing a decision by King Salman.
- NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Congratulates President Of Malawi On His Presidential ElectionRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, has sent a cable of congratulation to President Lazarus Chakwera of the Republic of Malawi on the occasion of his win of the presidential elections and swear in as president of the Republic … Continue reading NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Congratulates President Of Malawi On His Presidential Election
- NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Makes Phone Call To President Of South AfricaRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, made a phone call Monday to President Cyril Ramphose of the Republic of South Africa. During the phone call, they reviewed bilateral relations between the two countries and ways to enhance them. Issues … Continue reading NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Makes Phone Call To President Of South Africa
- NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Congratulates President Of Somalia On Independence DayRIYADH | SAUDI ARABIA – Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense has sent a cable of congratulation to President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed Farmaajo of the Federal Republic of Somalia on the anniversary of his country’s Independence Day. In hid cable, HRH Crown Prince Mohammed … Continue reading NEWS | Saudi Crown Prince Congratulates President Of Somalia On Independence Day