Around an enormous outdoor runway lit with dozens of floating tealights, French label Christian Dior crisscrossed cultures and continents at its first fashion in Morocco on Monday, with beaded dresses and patterned prints taking center stage.
The “Cruise” Collection – hosted outside the usual fashion week calendar, but which is an important source of sale – drew stars including actresses Lupita Nyong’o and Shailene Woodley to Marraketch for the extravaganza.
As night fell over the city’s 16th century El Badi Palace and its pool and gardens, models – some wearing bandanas – showcased flowing gowns in maroon or black alongside patterned styles in fabrics from Ivory Coast, fashioned into the brand’s trademark synched suit jackets.
Unusually for the French label, it commissioned an Abidjan-based firm to manufacture the cloth, which in its most elaborate from is printed on two sides, and which featured Toile de Jouy-style figures and landscape Dior is known for.
“You’re really speaking about the human touch here, like in couture”, Dior’s creative chief Maria Grazia Chiuri said in an interview in Paris ahead of the show. The fabrics, found across West Africa and showcasing symbols that are sometimes used as a form of language, had inspired the collection, she added.
Designers Pathe Ouedraogo – or Pathe’O, from Burkina Faso, who is known for dressing Nelson Mandela – and Grace Wales Bonner, a British artist, also worked with Dior on pieces for the show, among other collaborators.
LVMH – owned Dior and other luxury brands are increasingly turning to elaborate or far-flung catwalk displays to emphasize their Cruise ranges, which tend to have a longer shelf life in store than other collection.
With the Marrakech show, Dior also paid a homage to the late Yves Saint Laurent, who took on the brand’s creative reigns in the late 1950s and was inspired by North Africa throughout his carrer.
A museum dedicated to the designer, who went on to found his label, opened in Marraketch in 2017.
- FASHION | Giorgio Armani Claims Women Pushed To Be ‘Half-Naked’ In Fashion Ads Are Being ‘Raped’
- FASHION | Saudi Designer Yousef Akbar Wins Competition To Debut At Fashion Forward Dubai
- FASHION | Tom Ford Shows His Sexy Designs In Los Angeles On Oscar Weekend
- FASHION | Amina Muaddi Among Most-Searched Brands In The World, According To Lyst
- SOME FAST FACTS ABOUT FAST FASHION | What Is Fast Fashion, And Why Is Everyone Talking About It?
- FASHION | The Qasimi Fall 2020 Show Was A Tribute To The Late Designer